• Register
  • Help

Topic: Orchestration course?

Share/Bookmark

Orchestration course?

I'm keen on spending some time (and a bit of cash) on significantly furthering my knowledge of orchestration. I'm classically trained (grade 8 piano & cornet) and I've studied a bit of orchestration at uni (and I was pretty awful at it!).
    Recently I've started to work through scores from Beltrami, John Williams & Stravinsky (and look through the northernsounds RK thing) - and it's really helping further my knowledge - but I'm wondering if it might benefit me to do something more interactive & 'structured'.

A Master's is out of the question, as I don't want to have to quit my job just to take on £20,000 more uni-debt, & I'm not interested in studying towards a certificate or degree. I just want to get to the point where I feel more in control with orchestral writing, rather than intimidated by it.

So my requirements would be:

Either online, or London-based.
    Under £1,500 (preferably way under £1,500!)

Amazingly - I'm struggling to find short-course or one-on-one options in London, and the two possibles I've come up with are:

Berklee online orchestration course

Peter Alexander orchestration book/course (is it still being taught as a course?)

If anyone has experience of either, or any suggestions beyond them, I'd be grateful to hear your input.

Re: Orchestration course?

Did you find the FREE orchestration course on this forum?

yeah - I said so in my original post:

"Recently I've started to work through scores from Beltrami, John Williams & Stravinsky (and look through the northernsounds RK thing) -"

I heard a rumor that there will be an orchestration class at http://www.musicforthemedia.co.uk/ But nothing official yet. Maybe you can send them an e-mail and check it out.

-Ranietz-

Quote Originally Posted by wilx View Post
    yeah - I said so in my original post:

"Recently I've started to work through scores from Beltrami, John Williams & Stravinsky (and look through the northernsounds RK thing) -"
    oh sorry I read faster than my shadow!!

Hi,

my company will organize these orchestration courses in cooperation with studio orchestra and choir later this year in the Czech republic. The price is not set yet, but will be very close to your expectations. Also, we do provide professional score consultations upon request. Please, visit our company website later this month for more info.

Best,
    Petr Pololanik, M.A.
    Conductor, Orchestrator, Music Producer
    Capellen Music Production

Quote Originally Posted by wilx View Post
    I
    Peter Alexander orchestration book/course (is it still being taught as a course?)

If anyone has experience of either, or any suggestions beyond them, I'd be grateful to hear your input.
    Yes the Alexander courses are still going. I don't have a banner posted at this time, so please feel free to PM me if you'd like further information.

In Los Angeles and New York, you can take the Scott Smalley 2-day seminar. I've been to this and coming home with two stacks of film scores is worth the ticket.

In Los Angeles, you can study privately with Scott's dad, Jack Smalley, who is an awesome private teacher. I studied with him for a bit and he is really fantastic.

You can start Music For the Media any time. You're assigned to a professional who reviews your work which needs to be turned in under a deadline. Students having gone through MFTM and completed the work have gotten a lot of work. I know one of the instructors, Chuck Fernandez, and he is absolutely top notch with lots of scoring stage experience.

In London, I don't know if he's taking on students, but Daryl Griffith just got picked to be one of the orchestrators for Harry Potter VI.

So you have a variety of choices to consider.
    Peter L. Alexander
    www.professionalorchestration.com
    www.alexanderpublishing.com
    Learn it right the first time.

Go Back to forum