• Register
  • Help

Topic: Can I install GPOv3 without KP2?

Share/Bookmark

Can I install GPOv3 without KP2?

Hi everyone,

I'm running Leopard on a MacPro, and I have Kontakt 3 installed and running. I'd like to install my copy of GPO version 3, but NOT install the Kontakt 2 player, and instead use GPO on the full-featured Kontakt 3. Since I'll never use KP2, I'd like to leave it off my disk entirely (both to save the space, and be free of the housekeeping duties of authorizing, patching, and maintaining it).

I've looked on the forums and FAQs, but couldn't figure out how to proceed.

1. Will GPO Version 3.0 run in Kontakt 3?
    2. If so, is there a way to install GPOv3 for K3 without any hint of KP2?

Any guidance you can offer me on how to make this work out will be very appreciated. Thanks!

-Andrew

Re: Can I install GPOv3 without KP2?

You will need to install KP2 to register the library. I recommend to run GPO in the KP2 player as there are some incompatibilities with Kontakt 3.

Jim

Thank you, Jim. I've now got the GPOv3/patched-KP2 combo up and running. Since Kontakt 3 is out of the picture, would I gain anything by installing a full copy of Kontakt 2 and running that? (I own K2, but wasn't going to install it since I have K3). If there's value to running GPO under K2, can you tell me how to get GPO to be "visible" to K2, the way it is to KP2?

-Andrew

GPO works fine in K2.2.3. The benefits are, that you can edit the instruments, should you feel a need for that, and GPO can share K2 with non-KP2 libraries, thus saving RAM when you don't have to run KP2 as well.

It won't be visible to K2 exactly as it is in KP2: you don't get the fancy library graphics in the left side browser pane. What you do is you make sure the GPO Library folder is searched for Instruments & Multis, when you Rebuild the Database (Options | Search/DB) and then you Rebuild the DB. Once that is done, you check the GPO Library folder in Database | View | all, select Multis & Instruments and then View | "copy selection to" | "favourite view #NN" (choose #NN>#1; #1 is buggy). When you now select View | "favourite view #NN", you'll see only the GPO folders. If you double click in the "favourite view #NN" header you can type a new name for the View (conclude with Enter).

As Nickie mentioned, you won't get the fancy graphics in the left pane. I usually run the regular Kontakt 2 so I can mix and match all Kontakt libraries.

Jim

Thank you, Nickie! I'll install K2 and give this a shot (and thanks also for the warning about View 1). I'll miss the nice graphics, but I think having editing capabilities is worth the loss. By the way, you explicitly mentioned Kontakt 2.2.3, but to work with Leopard I'd have to update to 2.2.4. Would that cause problems for GPOv3?

-Andrew

I'm on 2.2.4, albeit PC. No problems that I've noticed.

Thanks, Reegs. I've just updated to Kontakt 2.2.4, and then followed Nickie's great instructions for setting up the database and views. I just gave it a test spin, and GPOv3 seems to be running beautifully on K2 under Leopard. Thank you everyone for your help!

-Andrew

Go Back to forum