• Register
  • Help

Topic: Wampus Cat

Share/Bookmark

Wampus Cat

Part I contains a bit of Part II. Part II contains a bit of Part I. Part III is a synthesis of the previous two parts. This contains much less dissonance that I usually use. I had to thin the chords in order to make it playable at the desired speed. Spring Frolic from which this all derives, will be removed as soon as I finish this posting.

Wampus Cat Trilogy I

Wampus Cat Trilogy II

Wampus Cat Trilogy III

I wanted to upload this as a single file, but size limitation prevented me from doing so.

All using GPO Steinway, naturally. Recorded using Sonar and Fatar keyboard. The score is being made presentable with Sibelius.

Richard

Re: Wampus Cat

rwayland:
    Very engaging and energetic suite with all three parts tied together perfectly. I am curious as to how the "unthinned" version sounds. I do not understand your "Spring Frolic" reference.

sos

I'm not sure how you get a wampus cat
    progenated from a spring frolic (ideologically
    that is, now; not musically); but regardless
    of the idiosyncratic Wayland naming
    conventions, this is quite an interesting
    set due to the way the movements are
    integrated with and to some degree
    derived of each other.

Not much of a cat person, I admit, I
    nonetheless found these quite satisfying,
    Richard. A handsome trilogy, if somewhat
    uncharacteristically tonal of you in places,
    my friend.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by sosmus View Post
    rwayland:
    Very engaging and energetic suite with all three parts tied together perfectly. I am curious as to how the "unthinned" version sounds. I do not understand your "Spring Frolic" reference.

sos

I don't think I saved the unthinned versions because at the speed required, it would have been nearly impossible, and there would be a great risk of wrong notes. Mostly, the deleted notes were the next to the lowest note in the chords, mostly a second above the lowest note. That certainly would require a greater control of the 4th finger left hand than I ever had.

Richard

"Spring Frolic" was the original title of what, after some revision, became the third movement of this piece.

Quote Originally Posted by etLux View Post
    I'm not sure how you get a wampus cat
    progenated from a spring frolic (ideologically
    that is, now; not musically); but regardless
    of the idiosyncratic Wayland naming
    conventions, this is quite an interesting
    set due to the way the movements are
    integrated with and to some degree
    derived of each other.

Not much of a cat person, I admit, I
    nonetheless found these quite satisfying,
    Richard. A handsome trilogy, if somewhat
    uncharacteristically tonal of you in places,
    my friend.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Well, I have been having some serious troubles with cats over a 14 year period. My home is located in a convenient place for people to dump their cats and peel rubber getting away. We have cared for all but one, which had a problem we could not handle. The matriarch du jour was pregant again, and had a litter of 7 last time, four of which are still here, and two of which were also pregnant. I was weary and exhausted from efforts to be kind to the cats while also being kind to my retired finances. The problem is finally resolved, matriarch is gone, the pregnancies terminated. So we now have only two toms and two females from the litter of 7. But over the years, the number of cats transiting this feline hostel has been quite large!

That is probably more than you wanted to know, but that is where the idea of cats came from. Wampus cat, for those not familiar, is a mythical creature which I have heard of in San Antonio, and maybe Lousiana.

I did not really mean to get tonal, I just tried hard to make this difficult work playable, and the removal of one note from many chords accomplished my aim.

Richard

Richard,

As always, some fantastic music from you. I too was slightly shocked by the tonal qualities that shone through every now and then. I particularly like the impressionistic sound of the second piece. It sounds very dubussian....
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Go Back to forum