• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: The Cornell Boxes (complete) - KOWALSKI

Share/Bookmark

The Cornell Boxes (complete) - KOWALSKI

Hello all,

It's been several months since I last posted a movement of this work, but I've finally finished the entire suite. I went back and made a few changes to the previous movements as well, and am very happy with the new mixes and mastering.

In the Workshop is the new movement, which is number four in the series of six.

This suite represents my largest effort to date in terms of length and time invested. The entire suite is 21 minutes, which is a sizable chunk of time for me. I hope to have a bound and printed score available soon.

You can download all of the movements as well as a pdf file of the complete score here.

I thank you in advance for any feedback.

Edit: The pdf file for the score had a few corrections made, and was re-uploaded the evening of March 13. If anyone is holding onto the file, you might want to replace it with the fresh version.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Re: The Cornell Boxes (complete) - KOWALSKI

Jamie,

I am once again throughly impressed. All of the movements , each standing so well on their own, make for an awesome collection as a single entity.

I am particularly taken with your skill at musical conversation, and the fascinating turns the solo instruments take throughout, melding so seamlessly, right up to the frantic end.

I also think your mixing/rendering work is outstanding; you should give us all a brief outline sometime of the process you use. Everything speaks with such crystal clarity (no doubt owing to the skillful orchestration as well). When I have the time to wrap my brain around all four movements in succession (it will be quite a stretch!), I'm looking forward to listening to this magnificent work in one sitting.

Congratulations are in order; this is truly wonderful achievement!

Danny

Quote Originally Posted by DDW View Post
    Jamie,

I am once again throughly impressed. All of the movements , each standing so well on their own, make for an awesome collection as a single entity.

I am particularly taken with your skill at musical conversation, and the fascinating turns the solo instruments take throughout, melding so seamlessly, right up to the frantic end.
    Hi Danny,

Thank you for posting your thoughts. I'm glad you are enjoying the suite, and appreciate the kind words.

I also think your mixing/rendering work is outstanding; you should give us all a brief outline sometime of the process you use. Everything speaks with such crystal clarity (no doubt owing to the skillful orchestration as well).
    I may do that some time, though I'm not sure I'm doing anything more than what other have covered in tips threads. I think in this case a lot of it has to do with the overly careful scrutiny I gave each section, and the many, many remixes I performed until the balance was absolutely right. I think one of the most important ingredient may be repitition. I think each new rendering I do is just a little better than the last, and I've been mixing Garritan for over four years now, getting the details more and more polished each time.

When I have the time to wrap my brain around all four movements in succession (it will be quite a stretch!), I'm looking forward to listening to this magnificent work in one sitting.

Congratulations are in order; this is truly wonderful achievement!

Danny
    Thanks again, Danny. I know that asking listeners to spend 21 full minutes for a six-movement suite is a lot, and I appreciate any fraction of that attention I can get.
    - Jamie Kowalski

Hi Jamie,

It's so wonderful to hear the work in its entirety. You should feel very proud of this. It is just great writing pure and simple. I love that you have made the score available; I'm always too embarrassed to do that. Congrats!

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jmc View Post
    Hi Jamie,

It's so wonderful to hear the work in its entirety. You should feel very proud of this. It is just great writing pure and simple. I love that you have made the score available; I'm always too embarrassed to do that. Congrats!

Joe
    Hi Joe.

Thank you for listening. I don't know how many people are downloading the printed scores and reading them, but I like to know it's there for those who like to do so. Feel free to print it out if you like, but please let me know if you see any typos!
    - Jamie Kowalski

Thumbs up Re: The Cornell Boxes (complete) - KOWALSKI

Bravo, Jamie! This one sounds fantastic, like the others! Very cool ending too.
    This collection is truely a masterpiece!

All on one pdf, great idea, thanks for doing that. I'll also look forward to listening to all of them in one sitting.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Leaf View Post
    Bravo, Jamie! This one sounds fantastic, like the others! Very cool ending too.
    This collection is truely a masterpiece!
    Hi David. Many thanks for the positive review.

All on one pdf, great idea, thanks for doing that. I'll also look forward to listening to all of them in one sitting.
    Gathering all the scores into one in Sibelius was a little challenging, but ultimately worth it for me. I think of the collection all as one piece, so I prefer to keep the score all in one file for complete print-out. More than a quarter of the book is filled by Rose Castle... all those 16th notes start to add up!
    - Jamie Kowalski

I listened to the new movement a couple of times through and think it’s great. I don’t have time to revisit them all now, but hope to get back them in the very near future (hopefully tomorrow) – I’d like to see (hear) how this fits in with the others. Listening to this I can bring back bits and pieces of the others, but I guess my memory isn’t good enough to recreate them.

Is there a picture for this or is it supposed to represent Cornell working on the boxes?

As I said, I really like this, from the writing to the rendering, which is very realistic. Great job on the whole project.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd View Post
    I listened to the new movement a couple of times through and think it’s great. I don’t have time to revisit them all now, but hope to get back them in the very near future (hopefully tomorrow) – I’d like to see (hear) how this fits in with the others. Listening to this I can bring back bits and pieces of the others, but I guess my memory isn’t good enough to recreate them.
    Hi Trent.

I'm glad you had a chance to listen to the new movement, and I'm happy you enjoyed it. It plays an important role in the work so far as breaking up some of the slower movements with a more active one. It also paraphrases a bit from the other movements, but without any direct quotes. I actually did write a section that would have been this movement using only quotes from the other movements. It was fun, but just didn't belong.

Is there a picture for this or is it supposed to represent Cornell working on the boxes?
    No picture for this one. It was inspired by a section of the exhibit we saw, where they set up a space to contain much of what was still in his workshop after he died. There were bits and pieces of recognizable items that he had used in his boxes, and some large collections of things such as clay pipes, spools, golf tees, plastic dolls, and other miscellany.

As I said, I really like this, from the writing to the rendering, which is very realistic. Great job on the whole project.
    Many thanks. I appreciate it.
    - Jamie Kowalski

Jamie

Your composing fascinates me. I think I have listened to them all as you have posted them and I hope to listen to them in succesion now that they are completed.

Each is simplistic and yet intricate designs flow thru each of them. This is composing at its best. I wish I could render my music like this also.

Well done

Ron

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast