• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Topic: C

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Senior Member rpearl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    1,904

    C

    Well, it is actually in F. Let me explain...This is a guitar quartet I wrote a few years back as an homage to Terry Riley, whose seminal work, In C, was so important to the minimalist movement. So, as a way of playing respect, I wrote a piece called, "C". Anyway, I have continued to have guitar sample woes, and when there are four of them, the sound is not at all a good one (witness the comments on the last guitar quartet I posted). I made a version for four harps, but it lacked the incisiveness that four guitars can bring; I thus tried it for four marimbas. It makes it a different piece, but I think the overall effect remains. It is an exploration of 12/8, with competing subdivisions throughout; it makes for some fun toe tapping!

    Oh, the F part: in C, it didn't lie very well on the marimbas, so I transposed it. The original title remains, as I hope to have it done on four guitars (possibly in the offing).


    C:

    http://homepage.mac.com/ronpearl/iMovieTheater32.html




    Any comments are welcome.
    Ron Pearl

    Website:

    ronaldmpearl.com

    myspace:

    http://myspace.com/rmpearl

  2. #2
    Senior Member sosmus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    667

    Re: C

    Ron:
    The old saw, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," came to mind immediately after listening to this and thinking of your remark to rescore it for guitars. It seemed to me, due to the percussive nature of the piece, that it works real well with the marimbas. There was one nice harmonic passage somewhere in the middle that cried out to be repeated, even in such a "durchkompeniert" atmosphere.
    Anyway, it's a very, very nice piece of work.

    sos (Steve)

  3. #3
    Senior Member rpearl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    1,904

    Re: C

    Quote Originally Posted by sosmus View Post
    Ron:
    The old saw, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," came to mind immediately after listening to this and thinking of your remark to rescore it for guitars. It seemed to me, due to the percussive nature of the piece, that it works real well with the marimbas. There was one nice harmonic passage somewhere in the middle that cried out to be repeated, even in such a "durchkompeniert" atmosphere.
    Anyway, it's a very, very nice piece of work.

    sos (Steve)

    Steve,

    I agree about the "ain't broke" philosophy. The guitar is, of course, close to a percussive instrument - especially when there are four of them! But I do like the sound of the marimbas, so it may be something to pursue...

    Glad you liked it. I appreciate the comments.

    Bellingham, eh? I grew up in Seattle, and have been through there many times. Mt. Baker treating you well?

    Thanks again.
    Ron Pearl

    Website:

    ronaldmpearl.com

    myspace:

    http://myspace.com/rmpearl

  4. #4

    Re: C

    Hi Ron,

    I really enjoyed this piece. I think I know which part was mentioned cries out for a repeat.

    The rhythms are great.

  5. #5

    Re: C

    Okay, I think I follow. It was in C, but you didn't like the sound of it
    with guitar samples, so you decided to rename the guitars marimbas and
    play it in F so the 12/8 time signature would remind Riley to tap his toes.

    Have I got it, Ron? Tell me I've got it, Ron...

    Seriously? Fascinating piece. You know I'm not much for minimalism as
    a rule, but something about this got me hooked, Ron... the shifting feel
    of the underpinnings, even when it seems outwardly static, keeps it in
    motion and interesting, intriguing.

    I also think marimbas are a great choice for this -- it seems to be
    very much idiomatic for them; for instance, some really interesting
    colors develop toward the end that I don't think would be quite as
    evident with your original intent for the ensemble.

    I'd still like to hear Riley play it on the guitar in C, though... lol.

    Always my best,



    David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

    P.S.:

    How about a suite of these?

  6. #6
    Senior Member rpearl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    1,904

    Re: C

    Quote Originally Posted by AlanPerkins View Post
    Hi Ron,

    I think I know which part was mentioned cries out for a repeat.
    Alan,

    Can you tell me? I'd like to work on it...

    Tanks for listening, and for taking the time to comment. Glad it met with your approval.
    Ron Pearl

    Website:

    ronaldmpearl.com

    myspace:

    http://myspace.com/rmpearl

  7. #7
    Senior Member rpearl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    1,904

    Re: C

    Quote Originally Posted by etLux View Post
    Okay, I think I follow. It was in C, but you didn't like the sound of it
    with guitar samples, so you decided to rename the guitars marimbas and
    play it in F so the 12/8 time signature would remind Riley to tap his toes.

    Have I got it, Ron? Tell me I've got it, Ron...

    Seriously? Fascinating piece. You know I'm not much for minimalism as
    a rule, but something about this got me hooked, Ron... the shifting feel
    of the underpinnings, even when it seems outwardly static, keeps it in
    motion and interesting, intriguing.

    I also think marimbas are a great choice for this -- it seems to be
    very much idiomatic for them; for instance, some really interesting
    colors develop toward the end that I don't think would be quite as
    evident with your original intent for the ensemble.

    I'd still like to hear Riley play it on the guitar in C, though... lol.

    Always my best,



    David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com



    How about a suite of these?
    David,

    I'd consider marimbas for this - but if I did (or if I had) it would be a different piece. It actually lies well on the guitar(s), and sounds good, as well. I just don't have samples that are make it sound good enough to share; as I have said the JABB guitar is ok, but four of them? Well, I can't handle them. If someone has a suggestion...

    Thanks for your kind words, and taking the time to listen.

    Kindest regards,
    Ron Pearl

    Website:

    ronaldmpearl.com

    myspace:

    http://myspace.com/rmpearl

  8. #8

    Re: C

    Fantastic work. I was hypnotized very early. I agree that the piece seems quite suited to the marimbas. Not that I wouldn't be interested in hearing other instruments giving it a go.

    In any case, I enjoyed it very much. Thanks for posting.
    - Jamie Kowalski

    All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

  9. #9

    Re: C

    Indeed a great piece. I like the sound of the marimbas here and I think it would make a great showpiece if one ever found four of them in the same place . Even so I can imagine this sounding equally great on guitars. Great job on this, I enjoyed it a lot.
    Kind Regards

    Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

    Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

  10. #10
    Senior Member rpearl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    1,904

    Re: C

    Quote Originally Posted by Skysaw View Post
    Fantastic work. I was hypnotized very early. I agree that the piece seems quite suited to the marimbas. Not that I wouldn't be interested in hearing other instruments giving it a go.

    In any case, I enjoyed it very much. Thanks for posting.
    Jamie,

    The marimbas are winning! Seems to be a likeable combination. Thanks for your feedback.

    Looking forward to having the 20+ minutes to hear all the Boxes in order.

    Appreciate your taking the time to stop by.
    Ron Pearl

    Website:

    ronaldmpearl.com

    myspace:

    http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •