• Register
  • Help

Topic: Key aftertouch in Sonar 5

Share/Bookmark

Key aftertouch in Sonar 5

I am working in Sonar 5 with Garritan Personal Orchestra inserted as a VST plug-in. I am controlling it with an M-Audio Axiom 61. Sonar reads most of the MIDI messages from the keyboard (modulation, pitch bend, etc.), but I can't get it to read key aftertouch. By the way, when I press a key for aftertouch, the MIDI input icon lights up, but I can't hear the aftertouch when I play, nor does the software record it. There is a check box in the Sonar options that tells the software to record aftertouch. I have checked that box, but it still doesn't work.

By the way, when I open GPO outside of Sonar in the standalone Kontakt player, the aftertouch works fine. Any ideas?

Re: Key aftertouch in Sonar 5

Hello Remus,

Please let me extend you a warm welcome to the board!

Now to your problem:

For starters, ensure that the aftertouch is being sent on the proper channel. Sometimes aftertouch (or sustain pedal information) is sent only on MIDI channel 1, depending on the configuration of your midi controller.

Also, the Axiom, as with most models on the market today, does not have key aftertouch, but rather channel aftertouch. The rationale is simple: key aftertouch (polyphonic aftertouch) is really expensive as it requires a separate sensor for each key and it's rather difficult for a player to maintain accurate control over the pressure of every single key in a chord. It will send aftertouch information about every single key depressed, akin to velocity.

Channel aftertouch (monophonic aftertouch) requires only one sensor strip for the entire controller and is thus cheaper. It takes the last pressure information sent from any key (continuously) as the channel pressure. The pressure is for the entire channel; what note it is reading is irrelevant. There should be a checkbox in the same Recording dialog to enable receipt of this message in Sonar.

The standalone is automatically reading the channel aftertouch.

Older keyboard controller models, such as some Ensoniq and EPS boards, have polyphonic aftertouch. The new Edirol, Axiom, Novation, and other boards are pretty much exclusively channel aftertouch.

Best,
    Reegs

Thanks so much for the response Reegs!! That did the trick!! I've been tearing my hair out over the last few days trying to figure this out and unfortunately I don't have much to spare!! You've done me a double favor! Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Remus View Post
    Thanks so much for the response Reegs!! That did the trick!! I've been tearing my hair out over the last few days trying to figure this out and unfortunately I don't have much to spare!! You've done me a double favor! Thanks again!
    I am having the same sort of problem. Since I got the GJBB library I have been one button away from making it work. (story of my life) Just to give you a laugh, I started out with my old but trusty DX-7 but of course, no aftertouch. Then I pulled out my beat up ensoniq asr 10 but it has a broken mod wheel. I found an old Korg M-1 but, of course, Korg keyboards had that strange joystick instead of mod and pitch wheels. (it snaps back ot 0 when you let go).
    Anyway, I just bought a axiom 49. Similiar to Remus, I can't get aftertouch to work. I am also using Sonar 7. Here is the situation:
    when I press down into the aftertouch strip, numbers on the axiom display change. I also have this keyboard connected to my usb midisport interface. That light shows activity when I press aftertouch. The meters in Sonar do not. If that isn't strange enough, If I record a line into sonar with GJBB and draw in cc131, I still don't get vibrato. I have checked all the appropriate boxes to make sure Sonar isn't ignoring cc131.

Any help you can give will be appreciated.

BTW, has anyone seen an explanation of the layout of the axiom lcd screen? I can't find it in the documentation anywhere.

Thanks
    Brian

Go Back to forum