• Register
  • Help

Topic: Stuck Notes: GPO almost un-useable...

Share/Bookmark

Angry Stuck Notes: GPO almost un-useable...(SOLVED)

I've had GPO v3.0 since December of 2007 and have had nothing but problems with it. I am constantly getting stuck notes that make a recording/playback all but impossible. Sometimes notes even play unannounced (i.e. no written midi data for that instrument at that time) It's almost as if other instruments are triggering sounds they shouldn't. The stuck/un-asked-for notes aren't always in the same place. It's even gotten to the point where GPO sometimes crashes when I try to turn off the stuck note.

I have:
    NoteworthyComposer
    SB X-Fi Extreme Audio with all EAX, 3D and Crystalizer options diabled
    and i/o upgrade drive
    AMD 64x2 3800+
    1.5 gig ram
    Win XP SP2 with all updates
    MidiYoke/Maple Midi Tools (neither helps with problem)

I've tried adjusting latency, dfd memory, turning effects on and off, disabling multiprocessor support, and some other stuff all to no avail. I've even done a complete reinstall of XP and GPO. Please Help!
    Last edited by dragonreborn; 03-09-2008 at 06:26 PM. Reason: ocd
    One pretty woman means fun at the dance. Two pretty women mean trouble in the house. Three pretty women mean run for the hills. -- Matrim Cauthon

Re: Stuck Notes: GPO almost un-useable...

Quote Originally Posted by dragonreborn View Post
    I am constantly getting stuck notes that make a recording/playback all but impossible. Sometimes notes are even play unannounced (i.e. no written midi data for that instrument at that time) It's almost as if other instruments are triggering sounds they shouldn't. The stuck/un-asked-for notes aren't always in the same place. It's even gotten to the point where GPO sometimes crashes when I try to turn off the stuck note.
    Are you saying this is happening while playing a keyboard 'live' or after you have recorded a few tracks/notated a few tracks?

If it is while live, are you sure it is not your midi-keyboard causing the problem (eg it all works fine for other virtual instruments)? The reason I ask this because I had a CME UF-8 that did exactly what you describe when using its USB interface.

If you're recording, make sure that each instrument is on its own Midi Channel in your sequencer. If two instruments are on the same channel, they could be affecting each other because of that.

--Richard

This is using notation only. I do have a midi compatible keyboard, but no midi cables. Everything I do is notation. I put one instrument per staff/midi channel, so I don't know if it's the vmc that is getting it's signals crossed or what. I have heard that Sound Blasters aren't the best for gpo...would you have a suggestion for one that might be more compatible?

Thanks for the response.
    One pretty woman means fun at the dance. Two pretty women mean trouble in the house. Three pretty women mean run for the hills. -- Matrim Cauthon

Hi

Firstly, I'm using a Soundblaster XFi with no problems, so I don't think that your problem is there.

Just as a test, can you use something other than Noteworthy Composer to play your music.
    In other words, save your composition to Midi, then use a sequencer to play the midi file. (Reaper http://www.reaper.fm/ is a one which will play the file to VST quickly) This might isolate where your problem actually lies.

Cheers...

Daz :0)

It took me a little while to figure out how to use the VST plugin but trial and error is music's greatest teacher...

It seems to be working just fine with Cakewalk Music Creator 4. Though I am overjoyed that the problem was not GPO per se, I am a little upset because I have used NWC for more than 8 years. I have tried Cakewalk and other notation programs on several occasions and couldn't figure them out. I don't know if there is anything else out there that might have a similar interface to NWC, but that is what I am most comfortable with. And $500 for Sibelius is ridiculous. Especially since I make no money from my compositions.

Any thoughts?

Once again I thank you for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonreborn View Post
    It took me a little while to figure out how to use the VST plugin but trial and error is music's greatest teacher...

It seems to be working just fine with Cakewalk Music Creator 4. Though I am overjoyed that the problem was not GPO per se, I am a little upset because I have used NWC for more than 8 years. I have tried Cakewalk and other notation programs on several occasions and couldn't figure them out. I don't know if there is anything else out there that might have a similar interface to NWC, but that is what I am most comfortable with. And $500 for Sibelius is ridiculous. Especially since I make no money from my compositions.

Any thoughts?

Once again I thank you for the help.
    If you are a student (and sometimes if you have a child in school) you qualify for academic purchasing on Finale and Sibelius. Sibelius Academic is 250 over at academic superstore and has a $50 mail-in. Finale is around that price as well.

Reegs

Hi

Just had a look at the Noteworthy site.
    Two things to consider.
    They are currently in the process of beta testing version 2. Perhaps if you contact them, you may be able to get this problem fixed before version 2 is released.
    Secondly, are you using the latest version of Noteworthy?

Cheers...

Daz :0)

I do have the latest version of Noteworthy. I'm trying out the Sibelius 5 demo version, but it keeps crashing on me and doesn't seem to want to play correctly with GPO. Perhaps it's the learning curve, or perhaps NWC just hates VMCs...I don't have the original disk for NWC so I am ineligible for the beta of NWC2. I really have no experience with VSTi or plugins, all of my previous music having been made with soundfonts. Nor do I attend a school or have a child who attends school, so Sibelius would be top-dollar for me. I won't touch Finale. I guess I'll see what the folks at Noteworthy Software have to contribute to this most egregious of situations. NWC2 was supposed to be released in 1994...

Salud~

Talking Re: Stuck Notes: GPO almost un-useable...

It occurred to me just this morning as I got home from a long night on a train that all this trouble with GPO seemed to start shortly after I upgraded my CPU from single core to dual core. I then remembered trying to get Road Rash (old school I know) to run without any glitches, and sooner or later I remembered how I achieved this. IMAGECFG.exe. It's a tool to set a program's processor affinity. I set GPO's affinity to run from only one core and it seems to have done the trick. I can't be sure until I have used it more, but for now it appears to be running quite well. As for what the future holds...well...only time will tell. I just can't believe I didn't think of this sooner. Once again I thank all of you for helping me and may you all find much happiness in music.

Go raibh mile maith agat.

Go Back to forum