• Register
  • Help

Topic: Ignorance is bliss...

Share/Bookmark

Talking Ignorance is bliss...

OK, there was a time not to long ago that I could listen to my Finale music composing and be happy, but no! I was introduced to Garritan and Kontakt Player and those dreaded cc's and the little knobs and sliders on the player. Things like convolution, and limiter and, and and...

Then I threw SONAR into the mix. Asked questions here and low and behold:

"The blind will see and the deaf will hear" and I'll never be the same again.

Help, I loved being ignorant! Now I know how bad my stuff sounds (sounded). Please send me back to the days of ignorance for after all...

IGNORANCE IS BLISS

Thanks alot Gary and this forum for totally ruining my life. Ah, but I see a ship on the horizon. I am beginning to understand this thing called a "learning curve!" Now if I could only convince my brother to do all this work for me - Oh please, please. Than I can go back to ignorance.
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: Ignorance is bliss...

Welcome to the world of sound and vision, wrayer!

It's not so bad, and there's a whole bunch of us here to help you with that curve .

Sonar is fun and a very dependable workhorse.

Reegs

Quote Originally Posted by jjloving View Post
    I'm not sure which is worse...the 'music' I was writing before having any knowledge of what I was doing, or gaining soem knowledge and losing such a perfectly good excuse

jon
    Amen. I liked the excuse - darn, now I can hear!

Reegs - Yes, I do love Sonar, it certainly "eases my pain"

Challenge #10 Winner

Huh ,,, whaa?
    Styxx

Now if I could only convince my brother to do all this work for me - Oh please, please. Than I can go back to ignorance.
    Used to be composer just had to write the stuff. It was up to the musician to figure it out!

Now, you have to orchestrate, imitate, assimulate and accommodate which all ends up making you want to procrastinate!

Sounds like tweekledee and tweekledum.

Ah, but the end result can really be a work of art. (Hopefully)
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

This is really a serious issue. I like (yes, sometimes) composing but I am not sure about tweaking all the cc's, mixing, "ambience" stuff, and balances.

Only composing is already a heavy burden to me, should I deal with all other stuff?

Yes. Because no real orchestra is available to me!

But I rethink that there maybe a trade off. GPO will play your score truly faithfully and the virtuosity is well over your imagination. Now as Finale 2008 churns out all the cc's with HP, I think it may not be so bad to drive GPO instead of a human real orchestra.
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan
    http://jun.music.coocan.jp/
    MIDI AND SAMPLING TECHNOLOGY HAS OPENED AN ENTIRE NEW WORLD OF MUSIC!

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx View Post
    Huh ,,, whaa?
    Excuses, excuses...

Challenge #10 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Jun Yamamoto View Post
    But I rethink that there maybe a trade off. GPO will play your score truly faithfully and the virtuosity is well over your imagination. Now as Finale 2008 churns out all the cc's with HP, I think it may not be so bad to drive GPO instead of a human real orchestra.
    Yes, I too use HP in Finale '08 and the playback is acceptable (and not too much work). But, with sonar and all the tools the Garritan/NI provide as well as all the nuances in SONAR, done right, you feel you are hearing a live peroformance.

My hat is off to all the great engineers on this forum. You know and we know who you are. Your expertise is leading us all to produce some really great sounding music.

Challenge #10 Winner

Go Back to forum