• Register
  • Help

Topic: Music sync/reading software...

Exclamation *Sean Hannifin* --- Music sync/reading software...

Hello all!

I'm not really sure what to call this type of software (I think it is Flash based), but it has been used here on the forum before in the Rimsky-Korsakov Orchestration course. I'm not even sure it is a software, but what I'm looking for is to have some sort of cursor follow a scanned score in sync while the music plays. So, basically, the user can see the written music in real-time as the music file plays. Here is a link to what I am referring to:

Can anyone please tell me how this is done? Thank you for your time!
    Last edited by capt_hook; 03-08-2008 at 07:15 PM. Reason: title change

Captain Hook (if you see Pan let me know!)

Re: Music sync/reading software...

Talk to SeanHannifin

I'd like to know, too, so I hope Sean sees this and responds publicly.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA

I took classes with Beto and I talk to him often about composition! Good to see another Austinite on these boards! I really like your site, take care!

Salisbury, UK

Run a search on this forum using the word Camtasia. Bring up the thread called something like OT: nice tool for screen recording, freeware. It included a link to download a fantastic piece software: Camtasia version 3. This will record anything on your screen (or any selected part of your screen), both sound and vision, still or moving. So if your notation program plays back with a moving cursor as it should, then you can make files of your music in the manner your want. Cautionary note: the link connected to a time expiring freeware offer of the older version of Camtasia in association with a magazine. Basically a marketing device to put you on the path to the latest version, Camtasia 5. Although the free offer date was long expired, the download still continues to work, or did for me. Good luck. And thanks again to Marce who posted the original link.

Not sure whether its of any help but programmes like Cubase will do this but of course you need all the music in as midi. It also wont show a whole page only about 5 staves at a time - OK for string quartets not a symphony

Thanks for the info about Camtasia, but sadly it is only for PC users. I did find out though that there is a program for Mac called iSHowU and it is only $20!! I haven't really looked into the specs and functions- but it supposedly does the same thing as Camtasia for Mac ppl.

That's good to know about Cubase, I had no idea it could do that. I use Logic Pro 7, I should look into it and see if it has the same function. Take care!

Go Back to forum