• Register
  • Help

Topic: Repeated notes

Share/Bookmark

Repeated notes

I am currently using some Garritan Solo Strings from the orchestral set to produce some string quartet music. I am finding when notes are repeated, such as triplet, the middle note does not play. If I reduce the playing time by over 10 midi ticks it then plays. Since the instrummnets can play more than one note at a time, I cannot understand why this is happening. If I change the pitch middle note of the triplet, it then plays. The worst case that I would expect is to hear one continuous note. Can any help me to understand the problem.

Re: Repeated notes

Yes, strings can play multiple notes at a time if they are different notes. If two repeated notes overlap (thus briefly playing two voices), the note-off of the first note appears after the note-on of the second note, and since a note-off only refers to the MIDI note number (which is the same for both voices in this example) and not the voice, both voices will be killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge View Post
    Yes, strings can play multiple notes at a time if they are different notes. If two repeated notes overlap (thus briefly playing two voices), the note-off of the first note appears after the note-on of the second note, and since a note-off only refers to the MIDI note number (which is the same for both voices in this example) and not the voice, both voices will be killed.
    This I understand but my problem is more complex than that. I am using Sonar for a string quartet, 2 violins viola and cello. I have entered a triplet all using the same note for the cello, viola and 2nd violin part. Each is 160 ticks long (240 base) and 160 ticks apart. The 2nd Violin and viola play all their notes but the cello misses out the middle note of the triplet. This is true also if each instrumnet is "soloed". If I shorten the cello's notes the middle note only lpays after it is reduced to 150 ticks. This seems odd to me.

regards,
    David

Are you using a different MIDI channel for each instrument?

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Each instrumnet has its own midi channel because each is assigned a different Garritan voice. It is only the cello voice that to date has this problem.

Go Back to forum