• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Garritan Pocket Orchestra

Share/Bookmark

Garritan Pocket Orchestra

I just picked up Sonar 7 that comes with the Dimension LE sampler and Garritan Pocket Orchestra. So far, my only experience with GPO is the version that comes with Finale (which I love). I guess I'm wondering how the Pocket Orchestra compares to the Personal Orchestra in terms of controlability.

Where the Personal Orchestra really shines is in the decision to have CC#1 control the volume and velocity control the attack of sustaining instruments. Does the Pocket Orchestra react the same way? Not much in the way of documentation provided...

Thanks.

Re: Garritan Pocket Orchestra

raweber

The Pocket Orchestra is a lite version of GPO and is a bit different than the version that comes bundled with Finale (whcih is a different lite version). It is programmed for Dimension Pro and some of the programming features and controls (as in in Kontakt) were not available when it was programmed for Cakewalk several years ago. Dimension Pro has gotten more features in later versions.

With our new ARIA player, we will use the same sample format as Dimension/Sonar - the SFZ format. So there will be greater compatibility and we expect some cross compatibility.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by raweber View Post
    I just picked up Sonar 7 that comes with the Dimension LE sampler and Garritan Pocket Orchestra. So far, my only experience with GPO is the version that comes with Finale (which I love). I guess I'm wondering how the Pocket Orchestra compares to the Personal Orchestra in terms of controlability.

Where the Personal Orchestra really shines is in the decision to have CC#1 control the volume and velocity control the attack of sustaining instruments. Does the Pocket Orchestra react the same way? Not much in the way of documentation provided...

Thanks.

I have the same question as raweber. I've tried using the GPO version included with Sonar 7, and I've compared it to the results I get with JABB. I find JABB produces realistic, musical sounding results, but the Dimension LE version of GPO just sounds like an excellent sample set. Not that I'm complaining--it was a freebie with Sonar 7, and far better than other string samples--but I'd like to know how to get it to be more expressive (e.g., like with JABB's control of articulation, legato, etc.).

Is there any documentation on the Dimension LE version of GPO? Thanks.
    Dean L. Surkin
    Steinway A104030
    Sonar X2 (professional), Finale 2011, JABB 3, GPO

A pocket orchestra? Is this like the Pocket Fisherman? Or, loose change? Does it jingle when you walk? So, it's like change for a dollar, lite, less filling, sounds great! A pocket orchestra indeed. Next we'll see sock orchestras, T-shoit pocket orchestra, Overall orchestra, Inside coat pocket orchestra, purse orchestra (may be hard to find it), and maybe even a "glove compartment" orchestra! Just think of all the possibilities Gary! You'd corner the market in pocket fulfillment! An orchestra in every pocket!

OK, never mind ... so, how does it work?
    Styxx

I was reviewing some of my old threads, and we never did get a difinitive answer to this one.

So, is there any documentation about how the Pocket Orchestra works?

For instance, there are patches that seem to imply multiple articulations. How are those accessed? (I'll give an example when I'm home tonight with my music computer in front of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx View Post
    An orchestra in every pocket!
    Some day we'll have a Garritan Orchestra in every iPhone. I'm sure Gary is looking forward to the licensing agreement.

[The above was humor and satire, and should not be construed as a suggestion for the Garritan company's product development plans.]
    Wheat Williams
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Music Copyist in Sibelius
    Apple MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
    Apple Certified Support Professional. I also work with Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat Williams View Post
    Some day we'll have a Garritan Orchestra in every iPhone. I'm sure Gary is looking forward to the licensing agreement.

[The above was humor and satire, and should not be construed as a suggestion for the Garritan company's product development plans.]
    Well, I just put a mod wheel on my phone, so bring on the GPO--Garritan Phone Orchestra.

Snor.
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

A more pertinent question for the cheap among us - is there an upgrade path from Pocket Orchestra to the full Orchestra, or would I have to just shell out the full amount?

Quote Originally Posted by fcoulter View Post
    A more pertinent question for the cheap among us - is there an upgrade path from Pocket Orchestra to the full Orchestra, or would I have to just shell out the full amount?
    Wait a few weeks when ARIA GPO is out and we'll have some sort of upgrade path.

Best,

Gary

Go Back to forum