• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Faure Requiem - Garritan strad owners, especially, kindly drop by!

Share/Bookmark

The Faure Requiem - finished, Garritan Strad still desirable!

What better way to showcase the expressive possibilities of the strings (as well as the horns, harp, organ, and timpani) of GPO than with a 'karaoke' Faure Requiem, as it were.

I have to say that I've been disappointed with several deadpan GPO renders that I've heard, so this partially to convince myself but largely to convince the userbase at large that the program packs a lot more potential than may first meet the eyes (ears?). Everything is done through Noteworthy Composer 2 and GPO w/ Studio.

Comments on interpretation are highly appreciated (choice of dynamics, tempos, etc.)!

The score I used (though with very minor adjustments as I deemed appropriate) can be found here; Philip Legge is owed a lot of acknowledgment for undertaking the daunting task of writing out and editing the full score for public use!

I. Introit et Kyrie
    II. Offertoire
    III. Sanctus
    IV. Pie Jesu
    V. Agnus Dei
    VI. Libera Me
    VII. In Paradisum

notes:
    II. For listening's sake, I have filled in the organ for the a cappella canon between altos and tenors.

As for the request in the title for owners of the Garritan Stradivarius, you may have noticed that the violin solo in the Sanctus is missing; I feel that this would be the perfect opportunity to include the Strad but unfortunately I don't own the program myself, so if anyone would like to chip in and provide for the solo I would be extremely grateful!

Thanks all, hope you enjoy,
    Simon

Re: The Faure Requiem - Garritan strad owners, especially, kindly drop by!

Simon,

Good afternoon.

This is absolutely amazing. You have done a great job at interpretting this. The piece is very dramtic, as it was meant to be.

How long did it take you to do this? So you notated everything in, correct?

I think that you have outdone yourself and that you have proven that GPO can be a mjor player. I've used GPO exclusively now since it first came out and I'll probably never go back to another sample library.

I'm going to down load this and burn it to a CD if you don't mind so I can listen to it in my car on my long crad drives between colleges.

Keep up the fantastic work.

Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Simon,

This is very impressive work you have done. Your interpretation is first rate.

This brings back memories having played the harp for a production of this work.

You certainly have done this work justice. And it must have been quite an undertaking. Not many are familiar with Noteworthy Composer, an inexpensive notation program. Are you able to make controller adjustments with Noteworthy? Your use of GPO within it is superb.

I hope someone will offer to help with that violin part. And if you are willing, I would be most happy to feature this on our site when you are finished.

Thanks for posting this. A job very well done!

My best,

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by Simon F. View Post
    What better way to showcase the expressive possibilities of the strings (as well as the horns, harp, organ, and timpani) of GPO than with a 'karaoke' Faure Requiem, as it were. Been working on this for a while, you can imagine... not quite through with it yet.

I have to say that I've been disappointed with several deadpan GPO renders that I've heard, so this partially to convince myself but largely to convince the userbase at large that the program packs a lot more potential than may first meet the eyes (ears?). Everything is done through Noteworthy Composer 2 and GPO w/ Studio.

Comments on interpretation are highly appreciated (choice of dynamics, tempos, etc.)!

The score I used (though with very minor adjustments as I deemed appropriate) can be found here; Philip Legge is owed a lot of acknowledgment for undertaking the daunting task of writing out and editing the full score for public use!

I. Introit et Kyrie
    II. Offertoire
    III. Sanctus
    IV. Pie Jesu
    V. Agnus Dei
    VI. Libera Me (work in progress)
    VII. In Paradisum (work progress)
    notes:
    II. For listening's sake, I have filled in the organ for the a cappella canon between altos and tenors.

As for the request in the title for owners of the Garritan Stradivarius, you may have noticed that the violin solo in the Sanctus is missing; I feel that this would be the perfect opportunity to include the Strad but unfortunately I don't own the program myself, so if anyone would like to chip in and provide for the solo I would be extremely grateful!

Thanks all, hope you enjoy,
    Simon

Hi Simon. This had to have been a huge amount of work. I listened to quite a bit of this but not all. I think you did a wonderful job rendering it. I am not familiar with this piece but imagine that this would sound great with a live choir, or (if/when) a Garritan choir library.
    Trent P. McDonald

Astounding! This is just awesome, Simon! Everything is absolutely "spot-on" from interpretation to rendering. I didn't have time to listen to each movement in its entirety yet, but that will certainly be on my mental "to-do list". Thanks for bringing this gem to the forum!

Danny

Thanks so so so much for the replies!

Jonny- as you can imagine, it took quite a while. It did, however, effectively pass the time on train rides (lately I've been all over the place, visiting, interview, etc.; college process is not to be taken lightly!). All the better, I have no doubt my writing for strings has improved as a direct consequence, not to mention my utter appreciation of this piece. The number of bizarrely proportioned phrases (like the 5 repetitions of 'Hosanna' in the middle of the Sanctus) are amazing, yet somehow it all works. And feel absolutely free to burn as you wish, I'm glad to share! GPO all the way.

Mr. Garritan- thanks a million both for your comments and for the work you've done with this program! The harp is just lovely in this ensemble; organ + harp, who woulda thunk. Though I use Sibelius for any scores I intend to print and share, NWC is an EXCELLENT tool for use with GPO+studio if one has some patience and a knack for phrasing. The expression controllers are an amazingly intuitive and simple way of acquiring the exact dynamics and tempi adjustment desired; on a scale of 0 to 127, you choose the desired ModWheel level and then specify the amount of time in which it adjusts to the next ModWheel setting in terms of beats (simply put). Another plus is that playback is ALWAYS consistent and simultaneous (i.e. no individually recording parts through GPO with a keyboard and then piecing things together). You can definitely do worse for $40 (or however much it costs, don't remember exactly), and in fact, you can have the same same functionality with the free Demo (though it is preferable to order the program because it spares you the 10-save limit).

I'd be thrilled if this were featured on the website! Nothing wrong with spreading the wondrousness of Faure (or GPO strings!).

trentpmcd- I'm SO happy you mentioned the possible Garritan Choirs because that's EXACTLY what I was thinking; maybe Gary'd give me a free copy if I did a decent rendering job of the choral parts over instrumental accompaniment I've already done. Hah wishful thinking, but I'm so excited for the choirs! Another possibility is recording an actual live choir of choirs...but that's where sampled libraries come in handy! Spares you that hassle.

DDW- thanks for the comments, and a slightly belated grats on the best listener, your ears are highly appreciated!!

This is very good indeed. I have only given a proper listen to the first movement so far.

I thought you should know that at 50-55 seconds and again at around 4:40-4:45, there is some very minor distortion coming through the right channel.

Impressive job.

Simon:

Very impressive. I could imagine the choirs being superimposed
    over your marvelous background. I was introduced this work when
    I was a conservatory student in New York and its impact has never
    left my mind. Faure's music is difficult to interpret the way he wanted
    it interpreted, but your GPO orchestra and organ have come very
    close to what I would imagine to be a "gala" performance.

Here's hoping you get to use the Garritan choir program when it
    comes out.

This is a fine example of someone with audio and musical talent
    producing a fantastic mock-up with lower cost materials and tools.

Good for you, Simon.

BRAVO,

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Jack- thank you very much for the encouragement, it's great to hear from a NY conservatory graduate because that's exactly the path I intend on taking (though I hear back about that in two weeks or so - scary!).

Alan- good observation, I have rerecorded and uploaded the first movement with the distortion fixed; thanks for the pointer!

Other updates:
    The sixth movement is done! Check the original post for some trembling and apocalyptic fun in the craziest harmonic sequences imaginable.

Also, I hadn't realized that eSnips had revised their downloading policy so I have edited the files to be downloadable if anyone is interested.

Sorry for the delayed response, I promised myself I'd finish another movement before responding.

Simon,

Not only a great deal of work -- but a
    great deal of superb work! The
    rendering in this is first rate... as is
    the "conducting" and the interpretation.

Thank you for this. The Fauré is a much
    loved favorite of mine, and it is a great
    pleasure for me to hear it here with
    crafstmanship of this caliber.

With admiration,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast