• Register
  • Help

Topic: String runs and crescendos

Share/Bookmark

String runs and crescendos

Hi all, I'm looking for some great sounding string run and crescendo samples, but there seems to be a lack of libs out there.

I'm just looking for those pretty standard fast runs and articulations that are so hard to program well, but could be slotted in a programmed mix as pre-mixed samples.

You can get plenty of brass articulations, I'm using plenty from SAM Horns ATM, but not strings it seems.

Any suggestions anyone?
    -----------------
    MacPro 2x3 Ghz Quad Intel OSX 10.4.11 DP 5.13
    9 Gig RAM
    VI's & Libs: Ethno4 / Tsaiko/ RA / Symphonic Choirs/ MX 4 / V-Station / Kontact / Arturia MiniMoog V / EWQLSO Gold / GPO / Atmosphere / Trilogy / NI Komplete4 / Massive / SAM Horns / True Strike /GPO/Garritan Jazz Band / QL Brass /Stylus RMX/ Atmosphere /Trilogy/ Voices of Passion

Re: String runs and crescendos

As far as i know, there is no library out there with a more comprehensive option of runs and crescendos then the VSL libs.
    They have runs as major,minor wholenotes, diminished ,legato and staccato variations, pluss crescendos in various lenghts, 2,4,6 seconds etc etc.

Listen to this demos:

http://www.bestservice.de/jukebox.as...36p189p197&new=

It`s the Peter Siedlaczek`s String Essentials "Second Edition".

http://www.bestservice.de/detail.asp...17p236p189p197
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

In GigaStudio there is the DEF filter which often avoids the need for specific crescendo samples by doing simulated crescendos using filtering technology.. is there something perhaps similar you can do with Kontakt scripting? I'm a Giga user and am not that familiar with Kontakt, but I use the DEF all the time for crescendos and decrescendos so I don't really miss it when a library lacks those samples.

Quote Originally Posted by dalek3 View Post
    In GigaStudio there is the DEF filter which often avoids the need for specific crescendo samples by doing simulated crescendos using filtering technology.. is there something perhaps similar you can do with Kontakt scripting? I'm a Giga user and am not that familiar with Kontakt, but I use the DEF all the time for crescendos and decrescendos so I don't really miss it when a library lacks those samples.
    No there isn't. Probably the only thing missing in K2 &3. There's a script that works well but nowhere close to what DEF does. You can also attach an EQ to the mod wheel in K2 and it helps a lot but it's only a work around compare to DEF.

+1 for VSL on sampled dynamics.

For fast runs, the Kirk Hunter libraries are very punchy, detailed,realistic and vibrant sounding. The runs are unsampled (eg: you dont get a sampled octave scale) - they play so well you dont need them to be. Ultimately thats where you want to be.

Much appreciate the responses. Will investigate them all - certainly going to get hold of the String Essentials bundle which looks like a real bargain.

Cheers,
    Jim
    -----------------
    MacPro 2x3 Ghz Quad Intel OSX 10.4.11 DP 5.13
    9 Gig RAM
    VI's & Libs: Ethno4 / Tsaiko/ RA / Symphonic Choirs/ MX 4 / V-Station / Kontact / Arturia MiniMoog V / EWQLSO Gold / GPO / Atmosphere / Trilogy / NI Komplete4 / Massive / SAM Horns / True Strike /GPO/Garritan Jazz Band / QL Brass /Stylus RMX/ Atmosphere /Trilogy/ Voices of Passion

Go Back to forum