• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Aunt Irene

Share/Bookmark

Aunt Irene

This is one of my first ever compositions that actually was written down and not just played. I started this a couple of years ago in Notepad, Played with it some in sib4, then again in sib 5. I took the midi from sib5 and played with it in Sonar home studio and then again in Sonar 7 Studio.

About halfway thru this process, my Aunt Irene passed on and this piece became dedicated to her. That was last summer.

This is my first time doing any kind of changes to the midi with the pencil tool, so I know that this can still be improved upon.

The original piece is over 13 minutes long. This is a condensed version at 6 minutes.

Here it is.

http://www.box.net/shared/6aah0dtwk0

Thanks to Jon for helping me get Sonar working right and to Ron for getting Sibelius to do what I wanted it to do.

Ron

Re: Aunt Irene

Hi Ron,

This is one of your first pieces??? Wow! I'm even more impressed!

I don't know if the Far East flavor was an intentional thing here, but some of the idiomatic devices of that genre (parallel fourths/fifths, all that pentatonic stuff, etc.) was very evident to me, and suits your compositional style very, very well. I particularly liked the beginning to the second section, and the subsequent rhythmic intensity in the melodic lines -- yet it all still sounded appropriately gentle and flowing. Some really, really nice flute stuff in there... I'll have to play this one for my wife later (an excellent flute player, flautist, whatever they call those people...). She'll love this.

Your technical work within Sonar is also first rate; everything sounded great mixing/rendering-wise (the very ending got clipped off just a tiny bit I think. Take a listen... it might just be the way it played back for me.).

Kudos again, Ron!

Danny

Danny

I now know how it feels to be WAY behind in the listening room. I have been stuck in bed with the flu for the past few days and wow, am I behind.

When I first started composing, I made no effort at trying to compose a certain way. My lack of training has made sure of that. But now I understand more and agree that I do love parallel 4ths/5ths. They do lend themselves perfectly with my style.

I haven't figured out yet how to get an empty measure to play in Sonar, so everything I have done so far gets clipped at the end.

Thanks for the listen

Ron

Hi Ron,

If you just expand each clip past its current ending point in Sonar (by dragging the end of it out for a measure or so), that should solve the "clipped end" problem.

Hope you're feeling better and back at 'em...

Danny

rolifer:

I listened and am quite bemused. Do I understand that this is a "dedication" and not a "depiction" of your Aunt Irene? Danny pretty well covered most of the compositional aspects but I also hear a small amount of "minimal" influence in respect to it's lack of chromaticism. It is energetic yet serene, and the constant repetitious motion is somewhat hypnotic.
    All in all, quite a piece!

sos (Steve)

Steve

I have been hesitant to say that this was initially called Roller Coaster.

Just because it does repeat itself a lot, and basically, just goes up and down.

My most vivid memory of my Aunt, was when I was around 12 years old, we went to an Amusment Park and rode the roller coaster.

I don't think that there is a flat or a sharp anywhere in this, so there is a large lack of chromaticism.

Thanks for the listen

Ron

Ron:
    So, this "dedication" is a "depiction" of a memory that you shared with your aunt.
    Very good, that makes it all the better.
    Steve

Thumbs up Re: Aunt Irene

Great work Ron! Fantastic flute and great countering with the strings and piano, i also found it to be hypnotic and relaxing, and a very enjoyable listen.

I also had an aunt named Irene, maybe we are cousins. What i remember the most is the beautiful auburn hair.

Hope you get well very soon, the flu sux!

David

Steve

She was an interesting and loving lady.

David

I have a number of cousins who live northwest of Dallas in New Carrollton, but they don't share this Aunt.

The difficult thingwith those cousins growing up, was their mother was Aunt Eilleen. So I had an Aunt Irene and an Aunt Eilleen. That got me in trouble more than once when I was young.

Thanks for the listen and the comments

Ron

Ron -

This is a very beautiful piece. What a wonderful dedication to your Aunt Irene!

It like this style of composition. Your effort in writing it down paid off! Also, the rendering is top-notch. Your work in working in "tweeking" those midi events in Sonar was also well worth the effort. Great composition. Great recording. Great work!

And. . . a great Gift of Dedication to your Aunt Irene!

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast