• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Star Wars: A New Era

Star Wars: A New Era

My name is David Fang. During my spare time away from work and school, composing music is a hobby. However, I'm currently involved in a project called Star Wars: A New Era.

Star Wars: A New Era is essentially a non-profit game modification based on the Half-Life 2 source engine developed by an international team of Star Wars enthusiasts, graphic artists, and game developers.

As a request Invision Games have called me to compose several pieces for the game. They are mainly action cues, victory/loss cues, mysterious, and suspense cues. The music will not be entirely heard until the game is released however the main theme is currently available for listening.

Just a background on the song, I purchased the Garritan Personal Orchestra just recently and the library have exceeded by expectations, especially for the brass section. Since this track is Star Wars related, there are many adaptations to John William's themes/leitmotifs from the Original Soundtrack. They include the popular Luke's theme, Darth Vader Theme, Droid Invasion theme, Force theme, and Storm Trooper theme.

Track: Novus Tempus
    by David Fang
    (please note I did not compose the other tracks listed in the music player)
    Main Website:

Re: Star Wars: A New Era

Good heavens! All this with GPO? I am not a gamer, but this sound is very inviting to play. Sounds like movie music. Great stuff.

Yes, mainly with GPO. There might be some additional chorus in the background and other additional percussions (the notable metal sounding percussion), but overall its GPO.

The usage of overlays creates that aggressive, massive sound.

Instruments used:
    Woodwinds (I highly doubt you can hear them since they are overpowered by the brass section)
    2 oboes
    2 clarinets
    1 Flute
    2 bassoons

Brass Section
    6 French Horns players/French Horns overlays
    4 Trumpet players/Trumpet overlays
    3 Trombones/Trombone overlay
    1 Tuba/Tuba overlay

Violin 1
    Violin 2

Percussion Set
    Tubular Bells

Steinway Piano

This is a very well produced work. Well done. I like the way you have been true to the Williams theme and yet developed it in interesting ways.

It might be nice to have a little of the woodwinds come through occasionally.

I am curious to know what tools you used to produce this? (sequencer/reverb etc)

Very very Williamsish. I am also curious as to what program you used to render this.

West Seneca, NY

Thumbs up Re: Star Wars: A New Era

Wow, I am impressed! Again ... Wow!

Used Sonar Cakewalk 6 and Garritan Ambience.

Dallas, TX

Thumbs up Re: Star Wars: A New Era

Beautiful work, David Fang. Maybe they will make another sequel and use your theme. Do you mind if i ask what is the additional percussion you used?

Wow, great job on this, David... writing,
    production, the works. A most impressive
    introduction of your work to us!

Welcome to the forum!

My best,

I assume the background music that is being played at the link you posted is your writing. I must say that it is excellent and the GPO rendering is fantastic.

I enjoyed all the Star Wars movies and am glad to see that the era of Star Wars is not over but continuing in a new vane. The piece does have an epic movie feel to it which makes it all the more impressive. I really enjoyed hearing it and wish you the best in the games development!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast