• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Impressive music tech breakthrough

Share/Bookmark

Impressive music tech breakthrough

Check out this demo for Melodyne's DNA (Direct Note Access) technology (not yet released). There already are programs that can change the pitch of single notes in a mono audio recording. This is different. Their demo shows them changing single notes 'inside' a complex, polyphonic guitar passage. You can change the pitch of individual notes, move them backward/forwards in time, mute them, etc., just like you can with MIDI.

http://www.celemony.com/cms/index.php?id=dna

The implications of this seem stunning. Gary, am I right that this is a big deal? Or maybe I just need to get out more?

- k
    "An artist is someone who produces things that people don't need to have, but that he - for some reason - thinks it would be a good idea to give them."

- Andy Warhol

Re: Impressive music tech breakthrough

Quote Originally Posted by klassical View Post
    Check out this demo for Melodyne's DNA (Direct Note Access) technology (not yet released). There already are programs that can change the pitch of single notes in a mono audio recording. This is different. Their demo shows them changing single notes 'inside' a complex, polyphonic guitar passage. You can change the pitch of individual notes, move them backward/forwards in time, mute them, etc., just like you can with MIDI.

http://www.celemony.com/cms/index.php?id=dna

The implications of this seem stunning. Gary, am I right that this is a big deal? Or maybe I just need to get out more?

- k
    klassical,

You are right and you don't have to get out more (although it's good for your health ). This is a big deal. I have known about the research in segmenting notes from chords in audio, but this is the first commercial application I know of. The implications are staggering. This may do for instrumentals what Autotune did for singers. And imagine being able to render midi from polyphony in audio files.

Thanks for telling us about it.

Gary

Thumbs up Re: Impressive music tech breakthrough

Wow, I want one... but let's pretend it's no big deal so they don't charge too much.

I saw them demo this at NAMM, and was pretty amazed. I wonder how much computer power it takes to crunch in real-time?
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

I want it mommy!

Amazing! A dream come true!
    The man is a genius!!!

Yudit

Yes, this is truly amazing.

Wow. Wow. Wow.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan View Post
    This is a big deal. Gary
    What about orchestral works though Mr Garritan?

Is this possible? If that's possible then that's frightening for a lot of people I would suggest.

With smaller orchestral passages I would imagine it's possible to separate it all out. Then you've got instantaneous sounds i.e. real instruments you could manipulate. On the other thread, someone jokingly mentioned Bernard Herrmann's horn sections - but take those horns on Cape Fear for instance and then start changing their pitches - am I being naive? Probably I suppose.

Nice. I've always admired their products but this is the first I've hoid of this, thingy, thingamagig, stuffs ...!

Thanks for postingk.
    Styxx

Go Back to forum