• Register
  • Help

Topic: Anthology Celtic Wind: Issues

Share/Bookmark

Anthology Celtic Wind: Issues

Hi guys. I bought the Celtic Wind from Bela D a while back and now I finally have a project where I will be needing them. However I find that they really hog my resources. My CPU can go from >10% to 50% when playing with an instrument. And when I play two at the same time my CPU goes completely crazy and I get cracks and pops.

Now - is this normal, or is there some setting in Kontakt which can help? DFD perhaps?

I'm running it on a P4 3.0Ghz with loads of ram

Thanks

Re: Anthology Celtic Wind: Issues

Which instruments are you using? I also started using it very recently, and discovered that the 'speed' patches necessarily run entirely from RAM, rather than hard drive, which also shoved my CPU useage rather higher.

The ones I refer to are not speed pacthes. I think I was using the Low whistle and Whistle D keyswitch patches.

It's rendering the instuments unusable. So I'm sure it's some setting that needs tweaking on Kontakt. I have not messed with DFD since I have never had the need. But perhaps I do now.

Ok - after messing with DFD settings I can conclude it makes no difference. I have however found the probem - it's the "FX on" setting. As soon as I turn that off the CPU load drops 10 fold.

So now I need to find out what I'm missing by turning off "Fx"... RTFM

Hi Marcussen,
    The “FX” is a 24bit IRF ‘church’ captured from the Giovani Edition recording sessions. It will consume more processing power then most, non- IRP reverbs. Anthology was recorded in a high-end room, you are free to bypass/remove and use any ambience you desire.
    Eduardo Tarilonte |Sample Library Developer
    SampleLibraries |MyWeb

Quote Originally Posted by Marcussen View Post
    Ok - after messing with DFD settings I can conclude it makes no difference. I have however found the probem - it's the "FX on" setting. As soon as I turn that off the CPU load drops 10 fold.

So now I need to find out what I'm missing by turning off "Fx"... RTFM

The "FX" button puts on and off their convolution reverb (church) that you'll find on quite all the patches; I always put it off as it's CPU hungry and althought it's a nice one, I find it too long and wide for most cases.Anyway always better to be able to decide about reverb when mixing the all thing.

Quote Originally Posted by TARI View Post
    you are free to bypass/remove and use any ambience you desire.
    ... or bypass it in the instrument and use it in the output module instead (insert or send - doesn't matter). That alone will more than halve CPU usage.

A single Bombarde note played on a Core 2 Duo 2.1 GHz goes from 22-23% to 9-10%.

Hmm, funny, I just noticed, that the so called "Mordant" keyswitches don't play mordents at all but rather prall-trillers (fast trills).

Thanks. I just completed the track without the FX and it worked all nice and dandy through AltiVerb.

Sweet

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge View Post
    Hmm, funny, I just noticed, that the so called "Mordant" keyswitches don't play mordents at all but rather prall-trillers (fast trills).
    I used that name because it is how Breton players called that ornament...

Quote Originally Posted by Marcussen
    Thanks. I just completed the track without the FX and it worked all nice and dandy through AltiVerb.

Sweet
    Great!
    Eduardo Tarilonte |Sample Library Developer
    SampleLibraries |MyWeb

Quote Originally Posted by TARI View Post
    I used that name because it is how Breton players called that ornament...
    Oh, I see. Musicologic folklore.

Go Back to forum