• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Mac Pro 8 core - SMOKEN GOOD w/Kontakt East West

Share/Bookmark

Mac Pro 8 core - SMOKEN GOOD w/Kontakt East West

Now, hold on before you read this! DO NOT go any further if you do not want to spend $money$ on more gear.

Ok.... I warned you......

Just popped for a new MacPro. (Yes Mom, at 40 I'm making more money as a composer than most accountants or lawyers - she wanted me to be an accountant or lawyer - heh, tastes goooood... SO NEVER compromise your gut desires.)

I need to express how good this new Mac Pro 2.8 Ghz 8 core with 4 gig RAM is. I have my library on a separate WD Raptor drive.

I am running Holst's Neptune with 32 East West Gold symphonic instruments in Logic 8 with Kontakt 3. It's not even breaking a sweat. Memory usage is 1.7 gig with none of the 8 processor's running over 15%. It takes (gasp!) 20 seconds to load the entire set of samples up from a saved Logic file.

MASSIVE difference from my G5 dual 2.0 Ghz computer --- which is hell fire fast already (but not fast enough for me to run Gold like a composer on it).

In short --- we can now run an entire high end symphony on ONE MacPro WITH high end plug in reverb. NO pops, stops, clicks or gltches - just pure composer magic.

I have found no bugs yet.

Now.... are you wanting to spend money.

More torture tests to come........ Still have not found the bottom to the power of this machine.

Re: Mac Pro 8 core - SMOKEN GOOD w/Kontakt East West

Hell.... I might actually be able to run Platinum on this machine with out breaking a sweat.

ANY ONE know from experience?

I'm getting mine Saturday...

David

Hi Piano,

Thank You for the very useful, and positive feedback, it's great to hear that your 8 core is doing a fantastic job in running EWQLSO Gold via Kontakt 3. I know how it feels when things work .... We for a change !

Well, I'm about to begin working with my Mac Pro 8 core using LP8 and Kontakt 3, I will be using EWQLSO Plat. Pro Exp., and many other libraries using K3, so that's quite encouraging news.

I have a question regarding the method you are currently using to automate K3's volume and pan parameters for each part when using LP8. I think there are various techniques to deal with this issue, but what do you find to be the easiest, fastest method so far ?

Any feedback on this would be appreciated, and very helpful.

Thanks Again.

I guess the only real work around is to use separate instances of K3. The 8 core will handle it in spades.

Pain in the ~~~ huh?.... but better than using midi volume curves or external mixing.

Quote Originally Posted by piano View Post
    I guess the only real work around is to use separate instances of K3. The 8 core will handle it in spades.

Pain in the ~~~ huh?.... but better than using midi volume curves or external mixing.
    Interesting !

So, You are using one instance of K3 per instrument ? Can you tell how much RAM each instance is using ? I know the 8 core should do a very good job at balancing the load of each instance across the 8 processors, so that is not an issue, the issue has more to do with the amount of RAM usage per instance of K3.

Any idea how much RAM each instance of K3 is consuming ? (I mean an instance of K3 with no instruments loaded) ?

Thanks.

"Memory usage is 1.7 gig with none of the 8 processor's running over 15%"

Hello Piano,

Could you tell us if you can load more than 2gig with several instances of Kontakt ?
    And wich OS have you ?
    I have a Mac pro 2x2,66 dual core with Tiger and 7gig ram. I'm running vsl and Kontakt 2 with several instances. But I can't open as much instances of kontakt I'd like, whereas I have enough memory...Do you have this limitation too ?
    Thanks,

Did

Quote Originally Posted by DID View Post
    "Memory usage is 1.7 gig with none of the 8 processor's running over 15%"

Hello Piano,

Could you tell us if you can load more than 2gig with several instances of Kontakt ?
    And wich OS have you ?
    I have a Mac pro 2x2,66 dual core with Tiger and 7gig ram. I'm running vsl and Kontakt 2 with several instances. But I can't open as much instances of kontakt I'd like, whereas I have enough memory...Do you have this limitation too ?
    Thanks,

Did
    Hi DID, and Thanks for some additional feedback. I'm not sure you understood my question.

I was asking about memory (RAM) usage of a 'single' K3 instance, with 'NO' instruments loaded, which I don't think can be that high, (1.7 GB of RAM usage seems like a lot of RAM for an empty instance of K3, maybe you have lots going on in that instance), unless K3 is big time RAM consumer even when empty, but, I doubt that is the case.

Hi Musiksculp,

When Piano says 1.7gig of ram, I thought he was speaking about the memory used in the Mac pro with all instances and their sound...
    In my case, I noticed that up to a certain point, when I have several intances opened with their sounds in Logic pro7, Kontakt (2) announce "not enough memory", whereas I get more than one gig free on the Mac...

Did

I've read mixed account regarding the new MacPro 8 core machines. The Apple support forum for Logic (the one on the actual Apple web site) has a few threads on the problems (or no problems) with these new machines. (Of course they could have been deleted by the moderators by now.) To be honest, I'm very confused with regards to all of this. But I am sticking with my (now older) MacPro 2.66 with 8 GB's RAM, still using Tiger (10.4.11). My sound "card" is MOTU's 2408 MK3. This SHOULD be a monster of a machine, but it begins to choke using a mixture of GPO, JABB, Kirk Hunter orchestral library, RealGuitar, RealStrat and Chris Hein Guitar instruments. Now, I'm a Logic Pro 8 user using mostly instruments associated with Kontakt 2 (and/or the Kontakt 2 Player). This combination itself can be risky when you read the Logic and Native-Instruments support forums. I've had the system overload messages. I've had the running out of memory messages. I've had the midi-clock timing error messages. I shouldn't be having these messages on this particular machine. So, my solution is to spread the work. For bigger sequencing projects, I spread the instrument load between an aging Dell workstation and the Receptor (by Muse Research). This set-up is ROCK SOLID for me. But, in my mind, I should NOT have to do this.

I'm glad to read that your machine is working well for you. I sincerely hope that you can use the Platinum version of the East/West orchestra library just on that one machine. With their new Player software, you should be able to do this provided that you load up on RAM. But, for me, I'm thinking about purchasing another used MacPro 2.66 (the older version) to use in addition to my current MacPro 2.66 machine, the aging Dell workstation and the Receptor, and plan on continuing to spread the larger sequencing projects between two or three or more machines. Those used MacPro 2.66 machines are going for several hundreds of dollars less than the new ones and they work great (provided the work load is shared).

I'm just venting. . . I purchased the MacPro thinking that I can do all of the sequencing on one computer (especially the larger orchestral projects). But I can't and it bothers me.

Again. . . congratulations on your new investment. You're obviously one of the lucky ones experiencing no problems with this new computer and set-up. This is good news!!
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Go Back to forum