• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Firewire and SP2?

Share/Bookmark

Firewire and SP2?

Anyone having problems with firewire hardware connections and can you tell me if it is an SP2 related problem? Seems like my 1394 connections are useless in both PC's.
    Anyone?
    Styxx

Re: Firewire and SP2?

I run Firewire built into my Asus mobo just fine on SP2. My son has a dual core system with an add-on Firewire board, and it's flaky. It's running SP2, but I don't think it's an SP2 problem.

if you are using it for recording hot to/from consider that it may have higher requirements depending on the hardware/software? ie do you need firewire800? firewire400? just a thought
    Christopher Kennedy Alpiar
    Cinematic Composer
    www.alpiar.com

Not all FireWire chipsets are created equal. Check the manuracturer of the FireWire device for what chipset is best. Most audio interfaces require a Texas Instruments chipset instead of the cheap ones used on most motherboards.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn View Post
    Not all FireWire chipsets are created equal. Check the manuracturer of the FireWire device for what chipset is best. Most audio interfaces require a Texas Instruments chipset instead of the cheap ones used on most motherboards.

Jim
    When my son was shopping, we made sure to get a TI-based board. Yet it's flaky. Go figure...

It's probably a bad soldering joint on the connector or something.

Sorry, I believe it is a Texas insturments chip set on my new PC but the problem is just as dominant on the PC I've been using with the FirePod (firewire connected) for several years, oK. Now for some reason it will not be seen or loaded right or what ever.
    I heard there was a problem with SP2 and firewire and also an update. The update didn't seem to work. Also, I heard Internet Explorer 7 may be the culprit by some security settings I don't quite understand. At any rate, the Firepod is rendered useless. PreSonus offered to test it and repair it if need be but that will cost me $85.00 plus shipping. I'm not sure I want to spend the money on repair or use it toward a better interface preferably on that is PCi.
    Styxx

A little OT .....
    ... but IE7 .... You can easily uninstall it in Add / Remove programs.
    All will rever back to IE6.

It's very rare for motherboards to have Texas Instruments chip for FireWire. Best bet is to open the case and search for a TI chip. If you don't see one, then I doubt it has one. Another thing you can do is go into device manager, find the firewire device, right click it and select properties. Click on the details tab and copy the string found (Example: PCI\VEN_11AV&DEV_4364....). Go to www.google.com and enter this string. You should get some hits for the brand and device. The VEN_11AB string in the example will popup Marvell as the Vendor or manufacturer of the device.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Karl View Post
    A little OT .....
    ... but IE7 .... You can easily uninstall it in Add / Remove programs.
    All will revert back to IE6.
    I don't have a clue as to what is right to do. If I uninstall IE7 a pop up lists programs that have been installed after IE7 and may depend on 7 to run right. Yet, I am not using IE7 I use Mozilla FireFox so removing 7 shouldn't effect anything, true or false.
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx View Post
    I don't have a clue as to what is right to do. If I uninstall IE7 a pop up lists programs that have been installed after IE7 and may depend on 7 to run right. Yet, I am not using IE7 I use Mozilla FireFox so removing 7 shouldn't effect anything, true or false.
    I've had IE7 before, recently and uninstalled it, thus returning to IE6, which is better I believe. I never lost anything in doing so.
    2 X Intel i7 920 sys. 12 gigs Ram. XP & Win 7 64
    Cubase 5. Kontakt 4. EWQL C.C.C. (Play)
    Vienna Instruments SE & Plus. Symphobia. GPO.
    RME HDSPe AIO KRK V8s Avalon Vt-747sp
    M-Audio Keystation Pro 88

My two passions. Music and Cooking.
    Both require just the right ingredients....

Go Back to forum