• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT - Windows 7: coming of the Antichrist

Share/Bookmark

OT - Windows 7: coming of the Antichrist

It's from Engadget

It's all a silly misunderstanding, we tell you. Microsoft has been holding fast to its "three years" development time frame for Windows 7 since forever, the problem is that it's never been clear when that three year period started. Well wonder no longer, Microsoft has finally officially confirmed that the three years started at Windows Vista's general availability release, which was January 30th, 2007. Obviously that doesn't mean will have Windows 7 on midnight of January 30th, 2010, but it does mean we can look forward to sometime within that year for a release. Microsoft plans to give an exact release date only once Windows 7 "meets its quality bar for release." Sounds like a good metric to go by, if you ask us.
    So, how technologically advanced will my computer have to be to run Word this time?
    Anthony Abruscato

"There are only two types of music: Love Songs and Pirate Music"

HP Pavillion dv6171cl w/ Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit, 2 GB Ram, 250 GB 5200 RPM HD + an external 300 GB HD. GPO, JABB, CAMB, Sibelius 5.1, Finale 2008a, and a demo copy of FL studio.

Re: OT - Windows 7: coming of the Antichrist

So that means we won't really see Windows 7 until 2011. I find it amusing Microsoft has given up putting a year in the OS name.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Curious as to what all the fuss was about I finally installed Vista today on a spare PC. Got it all set up the way I wanted, Aero interface and all. Installed Sonar but it doesn't work. Don't really have the inlcination to persevere with this lemon.

I'll stick with XP until I make the final move to Linux which isn't far away now.

Dear Tony:

I'm inclined to agree with you, but I won't go to Linux until Sonar and Finale port their flagship programs to Linux. Until then, I'll reluctantly continue to use XP, and I'll continue to avoid Vista like the plague it is.
    Dean L. Surkin
    Steinway A104030
    Sonar X2 (professional), Finale 2011, JABB 3, GPO

What I've read about Windows 7 sounds pretty good. The kernel and core components are much smaller. Hopefully, they will not bloat it out. The goal is to get rid of some of the bloat that happened to Vista. Maybe this will be the OS to upgrade to from XP. Like others here, I'm sticking with XP for quite some time.

Jim

Vista has too many driver issues and that's the reasons I am still using XP pro. Windows 7 eh? So, what does this have to do with Auntie Christ?
    Styxx

Styxx, no clue, it just sounded flashy. Haydn, I heard the thing about the new kernel. The kernel they're planning on using, from what I hear, takes up 25 MB of disk space, and 40 MB of memory usage, compared to Vista's severel Gigs of disc space and God knows how much memory usage.

Check out this Wikipedia Article for stuff on Windows 7
    Anthony Abruscato

"There are only two types of music: Love Songs and Pirate Music"

HP Pavillion dv6171cl w/ Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit, 2 GB Ram, 250 GB 5200 RPM HD + an external 300 GB HD. GPO, JABB, CAMB, Sibelius 5.1, Finale 2008a, and a demo copy of FL studio.

I haven't heard anything about disk space but I'm sure it will be much more than 25 MB. The kernel is supposed to be about 40 MB and installation is reported to take about 10 minutes.

Microsoft really needs to move away from the bloated OS's like Vista. Also, software manufacturers really need to start optimizing code. Many companies such as Symantec, McAfee, and others have let the size of their programs to get out of hand. We run McAfee ISP (Internet Security Protection) on our work PC's. This hog was using 300 MB of memory the other day between the antivirus, firewall and spyware modules. It was bringing my 1 GB laptop to a crawl especially with all the other security crap we have running. My system rarely has any free memory after I load Outlook 2003, Excel, OneNote and a couple instances of Internet Explorer.

Jim

Go Back to forum