• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Would love opinions on my contest entry

Share/Bookmark

Would love opinions on my contest entry

So I finally got around to doing my entry for this years Turner Classic Movies Young Film Composers Competition and I\'d love to get feedback from anyone who is willing to listen to my entry.

If you would like to view the film clip along with the music (Be warned that this is a very large (7.5 MB) download!), go to http://www.nwlink.com/~jamieh/donjuan.avi

If you would like to just hear the music (kind of hard to evaluate without the film) check it out at http://www.mp3.com/JamieHall

It is the Don Juan clip on that page.

Most of the instruments (everything but woodwinds and drums) were done with Giga. Note that while I did try to make it sound as \"real\" as possible, there were some parts where I sacrificed the realness of the piece in order to get the exact orchestration I wanted, as it was intended to be a mockup of an actual orchestral piece. If it is selected as a semi-finalist, I will have to fully orchestrate it, so I put in some stuff (especially the fast string work at the beginning) because I wanted it there even though it isn\'t convincing in the mock-up.

All comments both good and bad are welcome. I was a semi-finalist in 2000, and I\'m hoping I can get back there this year.

[This message has been edited by Jamieh (edited 04-02-2002).]

Re: Would love opinions on my contest entry

BRAVO!!!

Kip
    Bardstown Audio

Excellent! I especially liked the way the music reflected the action beautifully, especially toward the end, when the mood changes from frantic action to victory.

You have a great chance with this.

Really well done, specially the last 30 seconds. When the ear hears good music (specially coupled with images) all thoughts about sample authenticity become secondary.

Nice job.

Tbanks for the kind words guys. They will be announcing the semi-finalists later this month, so I\'ll keep my fingers crossed!

music sounds good

works well with the video.

The mix sounds kind of weird tho. It just doesn\'t seem balanced.

Just my opine tho

anyhow good luck

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

King, I\'d love more feedback on the mix, as I\'m always looking for ways to improve things. Can you be a little more specific on what you feel is out of balance? Are you referring to brass vs string volume? I noticed the brass dominates the mix a bit.

Part of it could be the mp3 conversion--I had to bring it down to 128KBPS for the contest.

Fortunately the main point of this contest is the music and not the recording.

[This message has been edited by Jamieh (edited 04-04-2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jamieh:

Fortunately the main point of this contest is the music and not the recording.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This what people might say, and I\'m sure they would believe that about themselves (that they can somehow separate out the \'realness\' and the mix from the sound they are hearing; i.e. the \'music\').

In the real world, that never happens. There are are examples of this strewn thoughout music when \'judges\' become involved.

A pianist like Horovitz, or a guitarist like Bream probably wouldn\'t make it in the modern world because their techniques would be judged as \'faulty\' (at least subconsciously).

I thought your music was terrific, but to win a competition (judged by people), the recording that sounds most \'real\' and professionally mixed has a great advantage.

It reminds me of my college days when we had to do \'technique\' exams - as if somehow a player\'s technique could live apart from the rest of him.

I recently listened to Jeremy\'s Soule\'s stuff at the GOS wbsite. I thought it was marvelous. I can\'t remember the tunes at all. I remember how \'real\' it sounded.

I once had a conversation with a world-renowned guitarist who had won every major competition; he told me that he must have had a \'technique\' that played well in competitions (he did, he never made \'mistakes\').

I would be interested to hear the \'winner\' of this competition (the recording that was submitted, not the orchestrated version).

IF you don\'t win this year, why don\'t you try using your best samples, with a professional mixing job? That is, turn the statement above on its head: assume that it is the mix and the \'realness\' that is being judged?

(And I admit that I don\'t enjoy even the concept of \'competitions\' with judging panels - but if it helps a young composer\'s career, I suppose they\'re worth entering.)

Good luck with this.

[This message has been edited by Z6 (edited 04-04-2002).]

Jamieh,

Great job! It fits the action perfectly and sounds great.

-- Martin

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>
    I recently listened to Jeremy\'s Soule\'s stuff at the GOS wbsite. I thought it was marvelous. I can\'t remember the tunes at all. I remember how \'real\' it sounded.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jeremy has the advantage of having his own custom sample library. My Giga is already maxed out polyphony-wise with the samples I\'m using in the piece. I need to upgrade to a 2 machine setup (or find less poly-hogging instruments) if I\'m going to add any samples. I\'m sure the mix could be done better--I didn\'t spend a ton of time on it. However, it is hard to spend a lot of time on a mix of something that is going to only be heard as a 128K MP3.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>I would be interested to hear the \'winner\' of this competition (the recording that was submitted, not the orchestrated version).

IF you don\'t win this year, why don\'t you try using your best samples, with a professional mixing job? That is, turn the statement above on its head: assume that it is the mix and the \'realness\' that is being judged?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have not been overly impressed with some of the past winners, either in their recording or in their musicality, but that is why everyone has their own opinion right? I figure that I can\'t be too far out to lunch on what they are looking for since I at least was a semi-finalist in 2000. That entry was done pre-giga fully on my Roland JV-1080, so this entry is light-years better in terms of sound quality.

Go Back to forum