• Register
  • Help

Topic: Solo String options

Share/Bookmark

Solo String options

First, does anyone know if Kirk hunter is planning on selling just the solo strings in his collection?

The only thing I'm really missing right now in my sample library is solo strings. I don't really have the money to buy something like VI's solo strings. But I don't want cheap sounding refill type strings. Really looking for something in between if there is any Are their any other options out there? I wonder what the eta of the westgate studios solo strings are...

I use kontakt.

Re: Solo String options

Quote Originally Posted by n8tron View Post
    First, does anyone know if Kirk hunter is planning on selling just the solo strings in his collection?

The only thing I'm really missing right now in my sample library is solo strings. I don't really have the money to buy something like VI's solo strings. But I don't want cheap sounding refill type strings. Really looking for something in between if there is any Are their any other options out there? I wonder what the eta of the westgate studios solo strings are...

I use kontakt.
    X-Samples has release a K2 version of their solo strings with new recording. Maybe you should go and listen to the demos and see if that is what you are looking for.

I'm pretty sure kirk sells the strings in modular form. You can buy any selection you want seperately.

I heard something about a new X sample library of solo strings that is supposed to be great but have not heard it myself.
    2 X Intel i7 920 sys. 12 gigs Ram. XP & Win 7 64
    Cubase 5. Kontakt 4. EWQL C.C.C. (Play)
    Vienna Instruments SE & Plus. Symphobia. GPO.
    RME HDSPe AIO KRK V8s Avalon Vt-747sp
    M-Audio Keystation Pro 88

My two passions. Music and Cooking.
    Both require just the right ingredients....

Quote Originally Posted by n8tron View Post

I use kontakt.
    Watch for the solo strings becoming available separately again in the middle of April.

Best,
    Kirk

I just listened to the xsample violins. They sound fantastic. I was really impressed with the demos. I had not heard them before, definitely and option. They do become expensive if you buy the whole section at a little over $100 thats becomes the same price as VI solo strings. Though I could skip the bass, mainly looking for these for use with quartet sequencing. Its good to know that they are out there.

Quote Originally Posted by KirkHunter View Post
    Watch for the solo strings becoming available separately again in the middle of April.

Best,
    Kirk
    Wow, it's nice to hear the solo strings will be out separately, though I have already purchased Ruby. Will it include the Romantic Violin? IMO, it's a must. The sound of R. violin is really cantabile and very easy to use.
    Tatsu
    GPO, Strad & Gofriller, Kirk Hunter Ruby, etc.
    Kontakt2&3, Cubase studio4, Overture4, PC (Win XP, E6850, 4GB RAM), MOTU8282mk3
    Yokohama, Japan

I use Kirk Hunter's solo strings and also Dan Dean's Solo Strings. KH's gives you many more articulations and includes a Bass. DD's gives you only Violin, Viola and Cello instruments. There are fewer variations, including ensembles (which I like) -- not as flexible as GPO -- but I find that most of the time, it's the DD violin and cello instruments that I am using, along with the DD string bass. Sorry to say that none of the solo violas, in any library I own is quite as nice as the other instruments. I don't know why. Is is just that violas are less pleasing to listen to solo, or are they harder to record? In any case, I would definitely recommend going with both the KH and DD upgrades.

Go Back to forum