• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: With A Nod To SOS

Share/Bookmark

With A Nod To SOS

Although it's not explicitly expressed here very often, I think we would all readily agree that one the the coolest aspects of this forum is the inspiration and motivation we provide each other, literally on a daily basis. I am constantly inspired and motivated -- and amazed -- by so many of you, and I know that the impetus has served my music well. It would not grow nor experience its much-needed improvement without this venue.

I was first drawn composition in college, and my first true love was for writing big band jazz charts. I drifted away from that after college though, only to have my love for it reignited by listening to the big band arrangments of our own "forumite" Steve Sample (sos). Steve's talent and knack for creating superb, professional big band arrangements is impressive... in fact, just as impressive as his humility, gentility and modesty.

A product of that inspiration is my first full-blown (though shortish) original big band jazz chart in many years, which I have appropriately entitled With A Nod To SOS. -- a jazz ballad.

The mp3: http://www.dannywilliamsmusic.com/nodtosos.mp3

The instrumentation: All JABB --pretty much standard big band setup

-2 alto saxes (one as featured soloist)
    -2 tenor saxes
    -1 bari sax
    -3 tenor bones, 1 bass bone
    -4 trumpets, 1 flugelhorn
    -acoustic piano (Steinway jazz)
    -fretless electric bass
    -brush drum set

Thanks for listening (and thanks to sos!)

Danny

Re: With A Nod To SOS

Well Done DeeDeeDub

Danny, this is very laid back and laconic. Some nice harmonies and a really good vibe going on here.

SOS should be honored.

Very nice and enjoyable ensemble, indeed. Good arrangement with depth of tone colors. Very well written, I believe. Thanks for sharing.
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan
    http://jun.music.coocan.jp/
    MIDI AND SAMPLING TECHNOLOGY HAS OPENED AN ENTIRE NEW WORLD OF MUSIC!

Way to go, Mr. Danny! Nice writing. I enjoyed it. You really did justice to the entire sample library and truly made it come alive.

Thanks for posting this for all to hear.

My best,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Danny

Perhaps we should all start calling Steve, the 'Godfather.'

I will be honest and say that before I joined this forum, I was never into the Big Band sound. But between Steve and others, I have grown a place for it. It will never be my favorite, I love strings too much for that, but then I am younger than a few of you guys as well....(young at 50 years old).

I have been waiting for a new one from you for quite a while now and as usual, the wait was worth it. You have shown me a new voice from you, and it carries the same high impact as your other works and I am quite confidant that the remarks that are soon to follow will reflect that.

The Piano in this is just perfect! Subdued, yet loud enough to make its presence known.

Well Done

Ron

Danny, et.al.
    Just to say that I am honored and humbled by this is totally inadequate. Danny sent me a copy before he posted it and I will enclose my response to him:

[Danny:
    "This is by far one of the nicest gestures I have ever received. What a beautiful chart, I'm speechless. I like everything about it. I have technical writing skills but you have emotional and creative juices that I can only dream of possessing. I hate talented youngsters!

(long pause to catch my breath)

Anyway, thanks again. I am truly humbled."]

Steve

Danny: One last comment. I sure wish I could have been on the bass trombone book in your band!

What a beautiful ballad. Now that's cool jazz! Can I play the trumpet part please, oh please. There is some nice writing here. Nice rendering. I love the minimal use of vibrato, such a live feel to it.
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Danny:

Absolutely super chart. Loved all the progressions and
    the total arrangement. Ya gotta love JABB for stuff
    like this........

Really great sound, Danny.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanPerkins View Post
    Well Done DeeDeeDub

Danny, this is very laid back and laconic. Some nice harmonies and a really good vibe going on here.

SOS should be honored.
    Thanks very much, Alan. I appreciate your kudos and taking the time to listen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun Yamamoto
    Very nice and enjoyable ensemble, indeed. Good arrangement with depth of tone colors. Very well written, I believe. Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks, Jun. I'm glad you enjoyed this.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander View Post
    Way to go, Mr. Danny! Nice writing. I enjoyed it. You really did justice to the entire sample library and truly made it come alive.

Thanks for posting this for all to hear.

My best,

Larry
    Thank you very much, Mr. Larry! I always appreciate your comments and your support as well. Hope you're taking good care of yourself...

Danny

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer
    Danny

Perhaps we should all start calling Steve, the 'Godfather.'

I will be honest and say that before I joined this forum, I was never into the Big Band sound. But between Steve and others, I have grown a place for it. It will never be my favorite, I love strings too much for that, but then I am younger than a few of you guys as well....(young at 50 years old).

I have been waiting for a new one from you for quite a while now and as usual, the wait was worth it. You have shown me a new voice from you, and it carries the same high impact as your other works and I am quite confidant that the remarks that are soon to follow will reflect that.

The Piano in this is just perfect! Subdued, yet loud enough to make its presence known.

Well Done

Ron
    Thanks, Ron! Your attitude is also an example of what makes this particular forum a "special" one; we all expand each others' horizons in an accepting, non-intrusive and non-judgemental manner. I'm just blown away by the creative intellect embodied in the music of a number of the composers here (such as yourself) that is simply beyond my realm -- but yet, I am still captivated by it and have an ever-deepening appreciation for it.

And thanks for piano comment... it made me kind of laugh because, in MY case, "subdued" = "my piano chops are crap"!

Danny

P.S. ...and I agree. Steve could definitely fit the 'Godfather" mold.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast