• Register
  • Help

Topic: Illusions

Share/Bookmark

Illusions

Here is a piece for my Brass sextet. I will be submitting it to the Cleveland Composer's Guild for a performance.

It's generating thought was the "Illusion of Harmony"

The structure is generated from a six note idea.

I hope you enjoy:

Illusions
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: Illusions

This s very, very nice - and sounds like it would be quite effective in live performance. I'm not a brass player, but it also sounds quite playable (always helps in getting thins performed). Nice use of returning ideas, especially the cadential punctuations. Keep us posted on the progress towards a performance of this.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

This is a very well-written piece! The harmonies (or illusion of them???) that weaves through this is quite effective. It sounds like all six voices are given equal roles in the whole conversation here, which is an important part of making the piece "work". This deserves a performance; I hope that works out.

Nice work on this piece!

Danny

I wish you well on this submission, and really would like to hear from you that it's accepted. It's such a fascinating piece--truly challenging, while seeming to be simple--that it deserves a live performance.

Aside from the thematic ideas, the structure kept drawing me in. It felt as though this were the only way this could be done . . . it was that organic.

Thank you for sharing this.

Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl View Post
    I'm not a brass player, but it also sounds quite playable.
    Thanks for listening.

Yes, I had in mind my brass group when I wrote this. We'll see how playable it is when we first rehearse it.

Challenge #10 Winner

DDW - Yes, I treid to give each voice an indenpent role. I've been performing the "Creation" by Haydn and have been influenced by Haydn's 'quasi' fugal sections and all the independent voice writng he has in the work.

Thanks for listening.

Challenge #10 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by jmpaquette View Post
    Aside from the thematic ideas, the structure kept drawing me in. It felt as though this were the only way this could be done . . . it was that organic.Joe.
    Thank you Joe, it did come out in a rush of ideas and it grew from such a simple little motivic idea.

Now I have to put it through it's paces and create a better rendering than that of this Finale version.

Thanks for listening.

Challenge #10 Winner

This sounds like something that people would enjoy playing today. You are never sure what they are looking for. but this seems to me to be it. Let us know how it goes.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post
    This sounds like something that people would enjoy playing today. You are never sure what they are looking for. but this seems to me to be it. Let us know how it goes.

Ron
    It is an attempt to bring new ideas and old concepts together. I know my brass group is exicted to give it a try. If anyone else out there has a group, I would not be against lending you the music to try and perform.

Challenge #10 Winner

An intriguing piece, William, the way it's built, the
    retooling of motivic material and the almost vocal
    dialogs in places. Despite being quite modern in
    overall sound, I can hear the Haydn influence...
    where so often in works for voice he'll likewise
    create the illusions of certain harmonies, depending
    on the ear's memory to achieve them.

Well done, and I wish you much success in having
    this performed, my friend. In a nicely resonant hall,
    this'll undoubtedly shine!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum