• Register
  • Help

Topic: No sound when using GPO with imported MIDI in Logic Pro

Share/Bookmark

No sound when using GPO with imported MIDI in Logic Pro

I'm sure I must be overlooking something really obvious, but I just can't seem to figure out why I get no sound when using a GPO instrument on an imported MIDI track in Logic Pro. If I input the MIDI data directly from my keyboard, no problem. But, importing a MIDI file and then assigning GPO instruments to the tracks leaves me with no sound. (Apple library instruments work fine, of course.) After fiddling with the various controllers in HyperEditor, I still can't get any sound. In GarageBand, I would simply input a value in the modulation controller. But, I'm lost in Logic. I'm in the process of moving from GarbageBand to Logic, and clearly have no clue what I'm doing. The manuals are overwhelming and less than helpful. I'm sure there must be a very simple solution to this. Thanks for your help.

Re: No sound when using GPO with imported MIDI in Logic Pro

Hi Xangoxum,

I'm pretty new to Mac and Logic myself, but I may be able to help you, as I have successfully imported midi tracks and used GPO.

The thing is, did you first set up your KP2 tracks and then import the midi? If so, Logic will place the midi tracks below your existing tracks, and you will have to hoist them up into place.

If this is not the problem, are you sure you have allocated the KP2(s) in the I/O of the LH inspector column of each midi track? And double-clicked the KP2 strip to open the KP2 and allocate your required GPO instrument?

If you have done all this and still no sound, come back to me.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Poolman View Post
    Hi Xangoxum,

... The thing is, did you first set up your KP2 tracks and then import the midi? If so, Logic will place the midi tracks below your existing tracks, and you will have to hoist them up into place.

Terry
    Thanks, Terry. Evidently I was importing the MIDI and THEN assigning the KP2 tracks. So, I tried it the other way around with one track and that worked. I got excited and set up a template for several GPO instruments, then imported a multi-track MIDI, moved the MIDI tracks up to the appropriate GPO instruments, and ... bummer, just the first track has any sound. What I suspect is that the controller settings in the imported file (e.g., volume, pan, program) are causing a problem, but when I adjust them or delete them, it still doesn't solve the problem. Thanks to your suggestion, I'm more hopeful; but not quite there.

--Jason

Ah, after taking a closer look at the Event List, I noticed that the MIDI tracks have ascending channel numbers assigned to them, starting with 1. The one that has sound is assigned to channel 1, so I assigned the other GPO instruments to channel 1 also (the default is 'All'), and that worked!

So, I guess I need to read up on channels and figure out why the MIDI tracks are assigned to successive channel numbers when imported ... and why, even though the GPO instruments are assigned to 'All' MIDI channels in the Inspector, only the track with channel #1 (in the Event List) triggered the GPO instrument. Ugh; gotta do my homework and wade thru the manual, I guess, because none of this make much sense to me.

Thanks again for your help. You gave me hope and set me on the right track (no pun intended).

--Jason

Hi,

Glad you made it. I agree with you about the fearsome Logic manuals. Nevertheless Logic is a supremely powerful program. I wonder if anyone has done an idiot's guide to Logic Pro 8?

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Poolman View Post
    Hi,
    I wonder if anyone has done an idiot's guide to Logic Pro 8?

Terry
    I've got both Apple Pro Training Series books for Logic Pro from Peachpit Press (much more enjoyable than the Logic Pro manuals), but of course I'd rather just plunge in and play music than wade through all these books. What would be really helpful is a good INDEX in the manuals. What I'm looking for is never listed under what I think is logical! Really frustrating.

--Jason

Go Back to forum