• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Tchaikovsky - Sym. 5, Mvt 2, Andante Cantabile - GPO

Share/Bookmark

Tchaikovsky - Sym. 5, Mvt 2, Andante Cantabile - GPO

Composed circa 1888, the 5th symphony contains the lovely second movement, also known as the Andante Cantabile. Here it is rendered using the Finale 2006 and the GPO library. I should point out that a great deal of effort has been expended to include all of the scoring details and provide the best reproduction of the music using Finale's Human Playback feature.

The instrument mix is as follows;

Flute Plr 1 & 2/Piccolo NV
    Oboe 1 Plr Modern
    Bb Clarinet Plr 1
    Bassoon 1 Plr 1
    French Horn 1 & 2 Plr 1
    Trpt 1 Plr 1
    Tuba 1 Solo
    Timpani
    Violins 1 Lush/Pizz
    Violins 2 Lush/Pizz
    Violas Lush/Pizz
    Cello 1 Lush/Pizz
    Basses Lush/Pizz

http://www.box.net/shared/p4sxvs8bo0

I am considering transcribing the work for wind orchestra. Hopefully there will be a followup post in the future.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Re: Tchaikovsky - Sym. 5, Mvt 2, Andante Cantabile - GPO

Hi Gary,

Great job on this! This piece obviously doesn't get the exposure that some of Tchaiskovsky's "biggest hits" do, but I think this is one of his finer works -- and you've certainly done it justice. I also think a wind symphony transcription would really work well; I'm looking forward to that!

Your hard work on this is obvious; thanks for bringing it here!

Danny

Quote Originally Posted by DDW View Post
    Hi Gary,

Great job on this! This piece obviously doesn't get the exposure that some of Tchaiskovsky's "biggest hits" do, but I think this is one of his finer works -- and you've certainly done it justice. I also think a wind symphony transcription would really work well; I'm looking forward to that!

Your hard work on this is obvious; thanks for bringing it here!

Danny
    Danny,

I agree that this is a lesser known symphony. The Andante Cantabile is really quiet spectacular and the GPO instruments create a very honest representation of it. There is so much detail in it that is hard to follow without the score, so subtle in nature. Glad that you enjoyed this setting of it.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Gary -

One of my favorite pieces, this is. I recall concluding, years ago, that this piece seemed to epitomize P.T.'s relationship with one of his sponsors . . . as related in a biography.

The voicings reaffirm the quality of the GPO library. Yet, as has often been said, it isn't the size of the wand, but the skill of the magician (musician) that makes the magic. I'm once again impressed with your interpretive gifts, and with the diligence applied to render articulations and dynamics so well.

This is definitely a "keeper" for me. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Joe

Lesser known amongst the less fortunate, perhaps, but certainly not with horn players.

I find the opening solo horn line lacks "life" - there is little or no dynamic variation in the horn line itself, even though I can hear from the strings that there are certainly dynamics in place. They need to be more exaggerated in the horn solo. The part is also marked "con alcuna licenza" and traditionally the solo line will have a bit more ebb and flow too it - conductors generally throw us the bone there as this solo is one of THE solos in the horn repetoire. And since nothing else is going on until the clarinet joins many bars later, the horn soloist is generally allowed some "licenza" in the playing of said solo.

So I would very much exaggerate the hairpins in the horn solo line and make more use of rubato. Perhaps placing the solo itself on a horn KS instead of the section instrument would help - it really needs the solo sound.

Then again, I am quite picky about the horn sound and am perhaps being over critical - no malice intended, just a horn player sticking up for horn-dom.

Other than that, it sounds very good for a computerized reproduction of such a rich symphony.

Ah, one of my favorite symphonies! And being a horn player also, this movement is dear to me as well, of course.

It's a very nice rendition of it, though I do agree that the horn solo needs more exaggeration in its dynamics. I would also like to hear a lot more variation in tempo, especially at places like the big crescendo at 3:48, where a nice stringendo followed by a big rallentando at 3:59-4:03 would really slam this home.

I'm also used to hearing a bit of a rallentando starting at 4:13 followed by a slower tempo... the following clarinet solo sounds very quick to me.

Nitpicking, of course. This is a very fine rendering, and very realistic. Especially nice work on the strings.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Quote Originally Posted by jmpaquette View Post
    Gary -

One of my favorite pieces, this is. I recall concluding, years ago, that this piece seemed to epitomize P.T.'s relationship with one of his sponsors . . . as related in a biography.

The voicings reaffirm the quality of the GPO library. Yet, as has often been said, it isn't the size of the wand, but the skill of the magician (musician) that makes the magic. I'm once again impressed with your interpretive gifts, and with the diligence applied to render articulations and dynamics so well.

This is definitely a "keeper" for me. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Joe
    Joe,

I am glad that you enjoyed this rendering. I put in all of the scoring details that were available to me. The GPO and Human Playback did the rest. I am well pleased with it.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by ALynn View Post
    Lesser known amongst the less fortunate, perhaps, but certainly not with horn players.

I find the opening solo horn line lacks "life" - there is little or no dynamic variation in the horn line itself, even though I can hear from the strings that there are certainly dynamics in place. They need to be more exaggerated in the horn solo. The part is also marked "con alcuna licenza" and traditionally the solo line will have a bit more ebb and flow too it - conductors generally throw us the bone there as this solo is one of THE solos in the horn repetoire. And since nothing else is going on until the clarinet joins many bars later, the horn soloist is generally allowed some "licenza" in the playing of said solo.

So I would very much exaggerate the hairpins in the horn solo line and make more use of rubato. Perhaps placing the solo itself on a horn KS instead of the section instrument would help - it really needs the solo sound.

Then again, I am quite picky about the horn sound and am perhaps being over critical - no malice intended, just a horn player sticking up for horn-dom.

Other than that, it sounds very good for a computerized reproduction of such a rich symphony.
    Thanks for your comments on the work. Of course I put as much detail into it as the score afforded to me. Remember, I am using notation software, Finale. I did not "add" my own inputs to attempt to fashion the notion "con alcuna licenza" in the work. So it may be a little flat in response as compared to a live performance where the soloist and conductor shape the work according to their interpretation of it. The hairpins are as written and not over emphasized to prevent clipping in the high end passages.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by Skysaw View Post
    Ah, one of my favorite symphonies! And being a horn player also, this movement is dear to me as well, of course.

It's a very nice rendition of it, though I do agree that the horn solo needs more exaggeration in its dynamics. I would also like to hear a lot more variation in tempo, especially at places like the big crescendo at 3:48, where a nice stringendo followed by a big rallentando at 3:59-4:03 would really slam this home.

I'm also used to hearing a bit of a rallentando starting at 4:13 followed by a slower tempo... the following clarinet solo sounds very quick to me.

Nitpicking, of course. This is a very fine rendering, and very realistic. Especially nice work on the strings.
    Like I pointed out in the last reply, the scoring is true to the version that I have including all of the dynamic and tempo markings. I did not want to jazz it up as such. So it is then up to Finale's Human Playback to make it happen through the GPO library. Quite an improvement over the older general midi sounds don't you think?

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by jjloving View Post
    "one of THE horn solos", indeed! I absolutely love this entire symphony, and I'm not ashamed of my horn bias either. It must be a horn player thing, because as Skysaw and ALynn have said, I just want more out of the horn!! But my ridiculous horn standards aside, this is very nicely done on a piece that surely wasn't an easy rendering. Glad you posted it and I'd love to hear the wind band arrangement!

Jon
    Jon,

Can't say that I disagree. And by the way, I am a brass player too, although not horn, and instrument that I also love the sound of very much! Yes it was a very frustrating work to input. The details took almost as much time as the notes to enter. And that is with a keyboard too!

I am glad that you did enjoy the work however.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast