• Register
  • Help

Topic: Other Instruments

Share/Bookmark

Other Instruments

Here's a new question about the Garritan Libraries.

From what I know and have read, you have basically covered all modern western and orchestral instruments.

Now, I am wondering this:

Do you plan on expanding your libraries to include other instruments?

Like all the Asian and European String and Wind instruments. There are countless instruments that aren't in any of the Garriten Libraries.

So, do you ever plan on making a library with instruments of that category?

Mooshykris

Re: Other Instruments

I also like this type idea with typical garritan volume control. and ethnic drums and percussion. and of course also american,ja african are wellcome..

I really like the western European and Asian string instruments. And I think them in Garritan would be perfect.

Hey, maybe someday Garritan might have a sample for EVERYTHING!

Mooshykris

Thumbs up Re: Other Instruments

Sounds great and I think with time Garritan may embark on a project but I believe it would be a whole separate library and not added into the original GPO. I'm all for Ethnic instrument library and would love to see Gary produce one in time.
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx View Post
    Sounds great and I think with time Garritan may embark on a project but I believe it would be a whole separate library and not added into the original GPO. I'm all for Ethnic instrument library and would love to see Gary produce one in time.

Yes, I was thinking that exactly. I wouldn't expect Mr. Garritan to do put it all in GPO.

I just hope he eventually does it, because even after getting GPO, I'll have to use soundfonts for all my ethnic instruments.

Mooshykris

Quote Originally Posted by Mooshykris View Post
    I just hope he eventually does it, because even after getting GPO, I'll have to use soundfonts for all my ethnic instruments.

Mooshykris
    Same here. If he does develop an ethnic library it will be worth the wait. I would pray that he include as much of ethnic percussion as possible.
    Styxx

The only issue I see with creating an "ethnic instruments" library, is that there are just SO many different ethnic instruments, where does one draw a line?

As an example, I need only point to GPO, which is a wonderfully full orchestral library... yet does not have harmonic sectional strings, nor col legno, nor bartok pizz, nor sul ponticello. As you can see, at some point Gary had to draw a line somewhere. I wouldn't imagine working without my GPO, but I still miss some of those sounds.

Now imagine an Ethnic Instruments Library (GGN?... Gary Goes Native?)... just how many variations are there on the bowed string instrument in the world at this time? How many truly distinct drum sounds and effects are there? (LOTS!) How many types of reed instruments, or simple wind instruments?

I think an ethnic library, while a brilliant idea, is going to be more head-ache than reward in the end.. there will ALWAYS be a bunch of missing instruments. It will never be truly "exhaustive" enough (just witness the whining about missing types of string articulations on the various forums where reference is made to GPO).

All that bitching and moaning aside, I think it would certainly be FUN to have an ethnic library... likewise, I'd love an "instruments anciens" library (medieval, renaissance - crumhorns, viols, etc..)

Go Back to forum