• Register
  • Help

Topic: Film Cue-Alice Out of Wonderland/Beyond The Rabbit Hole

Share/Bookmark

Arrow Film Cue-Alice Out of Wonderland/Beyond The Rabbit Hole

Hi all. It's been a good while since I last posted on the forums but, I've been so busy with other projects that require my undivided attention. I must say, it's nice to get back to the forums and see what I've been missing! Wow! Soooooooooo many new and terrific compositions here! It's going to take me some time to listen to some of them and get caught up!

Anyway, during my time working on some other projects, I found time to complete a small 3 minute cue that came to me while working on something else entirely. I liked the direction the sound was going so, I kept toying with it. It wasn't until I was surfing the web and ran across a short clip of Alice in Wonderland, that the idea hit me. I thought, "Humm...I wonder what it would sound like to put Alice in a darker, more sinister type surrounding?" So, this is the result. I've listed below the libraries and such used in this production. Hope you enjoy and as always, your feedback and comments are welcomed.

LIBRARIES

GPO- Strings, Brass, Basses, Percussion, Timpi
    EWQL- Brass, Percussion, Harp, Choir
    MAGIX- Pads, Percussion, Choir, Strings

SEQUENCER

Fruity Loops

MIXDOWN

Reaper
    Acid 4.0

Here is the link:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music
    "A wrong note played timidly, is still a wrong note. A wrong note played with authority, is improvisation."

Re: Film Cue-Alice Out of Wonderland/Beyond The Rabbit Hole

Wow! that sure is cinematic to the extreme. Very powerful and moving. I hear elements of Elfman and Bram Stoker's Dracula theme. A terrifying but whimsical feeling; a great and effective combination.

Great work and thanks for the post!

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Question Re: Film Cue-Alice Out of Wonderland/Beyond The Rabbit Hole

John,
    Well thought out and very well done. What notation pgm do you use?
    Best wishes,
    John Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Wiktor View Post
    Wow! that sure is cinematic to the extreme. Very powerful and moving. I hear elements of Elfman and Bram Stoker's Dracula theme. A terrifying but whimsical feeling; a great and effective combination.

Great work and thanks for the post!
    Thanks Michael! I loved Bram Stoker's Dracula! I think the score REALLY gave the movie a "perfect" marriage.

I wanted this cue to have that whimsical "feeing" but at the same time, give a strong sense of terror without seeming too overpowering.
    "A wrong note played timidly, is still a wrong note. A wrong note played with authority, is improvisation."

Quote Originally Posted by taylorchandler View Post
    John,
    Well thought out and very well done. What notation pgm do you use?
    Best wishes,
    John Taylor
    Hi John and thanks for your comment! I don't use a notation program to compose. I use my midi keyboard and Fruity Loops and the midi data is entered into the tracks I am currently working on. Once I have the basic structure of the piece, I start refining it and applying the various samples from the libraries I have. I do my final mxdown using Reaper, where I add all the audio effects such as panning, reverb, stage positioning etc. until I'm happy with mix, and I then do a realtime final recording so I can listen as the Mp3 is being finalized. The process is time consuming, but, I found it works for me and the final recording s really worth it!

Really well done! Great contrast in dynamics, some subtle threads that jump out at me.

"Alice" is a discussion all by herself. I think your clip adds to what is generally not acknowledged in the Disney-ish renderings of the story.

Thank you for sharing this one.

Joe

John - first of all, I love the quote on your signature about improvisation. Perfect!

With that out of the way and on to more important things, I really like what you've done with the Alice piece. Powerful - great dynamics and well recorded. You have a great flair for the epic film.

thanks for sharing - Del
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

http://www.mdtcommunications.com

Wow! You definitely hit stride on this one, John!
    Excellent cinematic work in this. Great material,
    and great production on it.

This is superb work my friend -- and inevitably,
    you know how I am, I can't help it, I just gotta
    gotta give you a push... rofl!

How about a suite built around this? With this
    movement as a centerpiece it'd be a knock-out!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

HOW DID THIS ONE SLIP PAST ME!? lol

I guess I have been too busy with our own work. The great thing is, I now have more time to go through all the compositions I've missed on these forums, relax and listen to them.

This is superb, it really is. Very cinematic, and yes, I hear Elfman influences for sure. Edward Scissorhands in particular. Thanks so much for sharing this, Shaver. I now have the pleasure of listening to all your other pieces on your website!

I do have a couple of questions for you: Are most of those choirs I hear EWQL Symphonic Choirs? I still haven't purchased that library because I need to upgrade my sequencer first, in order to use the Wordbuilder, so it's a $1000 investment! How are Magix choirs? I didn't realize they even made choirs :O
    Wonderful!

Regards,
    Paul
    "Life is rarely fair..." - Garlan, of Thorandall
    http://pjdeakin.blogspot.com/

Cool Re: Film Cue-Alice Out of Wonderland/Beyond The Rabbit Hole

Imaginative orchestration with beautifully arranged demonic choirs that gives the chills... Impressive overall... especially like the burlesque end!

Fred

Go Back to forum