• Register
  • Help

Topic: what are the best reverbs for strings

Share/Bookmark

what are the best reverbs for strings

Im not refering to the best library like altiverb or waves IR but rather should I be using halls, plates? I know there is no one answer just want some general guidelines

Re: what are the best reverbs for strings

I love Steinbergs Roomworx. Try it. It sounds sometimes better then Ativerb. All IR Revrbs have some problems. That is the reason why in big Hollywoodproductions still the normal Lexicon Reverb is in use.

The answer is dependant upon the source material of your recordings. Are they ambient, dry, etc.?

D

Quote Originally Posted by Anton Bruckner View Post
    I love Steinbergs Roomworx. Try it. It sounds sometimes better then Ativerb. All IR Revrbs have some problems. That is the reason why in big Hollywoodproductions still the normal Lexicon Reverb is in use.
    I didn't find roomworx anywhere-is it part of Nuendo or something?

cheers

Nigel

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel W View Post
    I didn't find roomworx anywhere-is it part of Nuendo or something?

cheers

Nigel
    It`s part of Cubase. Also a good reverb for strings is the CSR.... .

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Jeff4h

Many well known film composers and engineers have been using the Pure Space Reverberation Impulses since it was released in 2003. Last week Numerical Sound released Hollywood Impulse Response more information at http://www.numericalsound.com/HIR_Demos.html There are string ensemble, solo violin and Violin Section examples posted.

Here is a link with many classical recording that have used Pure Space RI's (there are before and after reverb examples at this link).
    http://www.numericalsound.com/ri_classical.html

Ernest Cholakis
    Numerical Sound/ProAudioVault
    www.numericalsound.com
    www.proaudiovault.com

I hear wonderful things about using the Altiverb IR for the Todd-AO scoring stage with string sections.

Quote Originally Posted by dalek3 View Post
    I hear wonderful things about using the Altiverb IR for the Todd-AO scoring stage with string sections.
    But the Todd-AO IR users also agree that it is flawed in its frequency spectrum and needs serious EQ before it shows its potential. This is a common issue with sampled "real" spaces. There are too many factors that can influence the final IR: emitters (speakers, etc), emitter placement, microphones, mic placement, type of sound emitted, source sound+recording alignment (should be phase/sample accurate), deconvolution process used and finally good post-processing to address deconvolution side-effects and adjusting the frequency spectrum of the IR. This is a long process with many traps. Most top studios still use hardware units like the 960L and the System 6000 for reverb tails and use the ERs from their scoring stage.

Cheers,

Peter

Go Back to forum