• Register
  • Help

Topic: Missing in Action

Missing in Action

I've been away for some time and was more than shocked to see that the Strad and Gofriller are missing in action. Can anyone enlighten me?

I purchased the Strad perhaps a year ago from the garritan site but due to a lengthy illness and I do mean lengthy I have not even installed it and was about to.

Is it all passe . is there still support and what happened?

Re: Missing in Action

Adriann -

The Strad and Grof have been discontinued as single products. They will, according to reports from "the Island," be reincarnated within some version or other of the upcoming new player, Aria.

If you've missed the drama, perhaps I can update you (to the best of my own limited understanding of things).

Garritan, et. cie. are busy preparing a new player for release . . . one which will use the .sfz format (or, at the very least, .sfz compatible) for samples. The player will belong to Garritan, freeing us from the shifting priorities of other sample player developers (not to mention any names, of course!). This player has been developed by/in cooperation with Plogue (developers of the Garritan Studio player).

Peruse the forum and you'll find numerous posts on this, as well as the almost imminent release of the Authorized Steinway Piano samples, which will be driven by the Aria engine.

I, too, have experienced a lengthy illness, so I can empathize. I hope you are recovering well, and that all of your faculties are available to you. Also, welcome back.

One thing has not changed: the Garritan forum is still filled with warm people and an abundance of talent.

P.S. The products are still supported . . . just not being sold by Garritan anymore.
    Last edited by jmpaquette; 03-17-2008 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Edited to add postscript.

Re: Missing in Action

re; illness - Glad you're feeling better.

FYI - There was a post here in just the last few days by someone who said they were "desperate" to purchase the Strad and couldn't find it anywhere.

If you're interested in selling it, look through the last two days posts. Who knows, you might be able to make a profit!

- k
    "An artist is someone who produces things that people don't need to have, but that he - for some reason - thinks it would be a good idea to give them."

- Andy Warhol

Go Back to forum