• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Island of the Dragons

Island of the Dragons

I finished this a while ago, but I'm way behind on my music posting...

Here's my Island of the Dragons with typical Hannifinisms like many harp arpeggios and repeating melodies. However, it's my first piece to use the gong! I also use the low whistle from Bela D Media's Celtic Wind library, which I think mixes wonderfully with GPO. At 11 minutes, it's one of my longer pieces, but hopefully remains interesting throughout.

MP3: http://www.wizardwalk.com/music2/Isl...he_Dragons.mp3

I also recently finished a lullaby for the GPO harp and Bela D Media's Celtic Wind whistle, which again I think blend together superbly.

MP3: http://www.wizardwalk.com/music2/Lul...AndWhistle.mp3
    YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrpgC3wv-u8

Many thanks for listening, I hope you enjoy!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Re: Island of the Dragons

You did a fine job, Mr. Sean. Good harp work. I enjoyed listening to your music. Thanks for posting.

My Best,

Larry G. Alexander

Hi Sean,

I liked both works!
    They have, with their repetitional patterns, a mantra-like effect, but they also keep evolving and changing in different ways.
    The grand finale of 'Island of dragons' is very impressive!
    You did a very nice work with the whistle itself and its combination with the harp!
    Thanks for sharing!

I love this. The main theme (I think there's actually a couple of main themes, but the main theme in a major key) is brilliant. It's been stuck in my head, though not annoyingly so. The addition of the whistle was very interesting, with the acciaccaturas, appoggiaturas, and such also.

*on my iPod*
    string quartet (ˈstriŋ kwȯr-ˈtet) n. a good violinist, a bad violinist, an ex-violinist, and someone who hates violinists, all getting together to complain about composers

FRom the opening lines in this, I knew I was listening to something special.

Just a beautiful start in this. The gradual adding of the pieces works so well. I have tried to do this on many occasions and always end up with a much larger beginning then when it all started.

I listened to both, althought the second one seems very familiar. Maybe it is just the art work done on youtube that you have used before?

Love those Irish whistles. I may have to go out now and buy them!

Well done!

Hi Sean,

Well, there's certainly nothing wrong with "repeating melodies" when they're as beautiful as the ones you came up with for Dragons. Excellent use of the Celtic whistle... and, of course, the gong! Very, very nice stuff!

Shelton, Washington State

It's been a while since you have posted some music. I forgot how great your theme development skills are and your ear for melody. There seemed to be a little musical humor at the end.

I also listened to and enjoyed your lullaby. Someday I hope you can play it for a much younger listener.

Hey Sean, you wouldn't know anyone that has an Irish background now, would ye? Very Celtic and very nice!
    I like the lines you have twisted together (a musical Celtic knot). It works very well. It builds and builds to an intense feel just to back of and relax again. Is the melody original or an old folk song. It really has the character of having been around for a very long time. The more I have listened to it the more I have come to enjoy it and its little subleties. 11 minutes is not too long for a piece as this is. You get lost in the piece and time has no meaning.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Both these pieces are so cute and beautiful. You have done a great orchestrating job with «Dragons». But I really love the harp and celtic flute. Thank you for this.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Very nice melodic work. I used to own a low whistle (which unfortunately didn't make it across the Pond). People used to call it my drainpipe. You really captured the Irish sound here - especially in your lullaby.

I agree with other comments here that in Dragon, some of the phrasing seems to drop off a little too suddenly. My ear is asking for longer releases on the notes of your beautiful melodies. E.g. at 0:44, the C# could be a little longer but with more of a tail-off.

Of course, that's just my taste and it's not a big thing. This was a treat to listen to. Thanks for sharing!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast