• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Vista SP1 Anyone?

Share/Bookmark

Vista SP1 Anyone?

Well, today's the day that Vista Service Pack is supposed to hit. So far, it hasn't shown up in Windows update, but there's still 15 hours left in the day. Is anyone going to attempt Vista now, stick to the good old XP, or just use a Mac?
    Anthony Abruscato

"There are only two types of music: Love Songs and Pirate Music"

HP Pavillion dv6171cl w/ Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit, 2 GB Ram, 250 GB 5200 RPM HD + an external 300 GB HD. GPO, JABB, CAMB, Sibelius 5.1, Finale 2008a, and a demo copy of FL studio.

Re: Vista SP1 Anyone?

Here's an interesting take on Vista SP1:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/03/..._toilet_paper/

I hope the h e double hockey sticks this does not screw up anything on vista as it is. When XP pro update to SP2, there were issues and one in particular was screwing up firewire connections. It rendered my audio/midi firewire interface useless AND somehow erased any restore points before the download. I was going to restore to SP1 but no way now!
    Hope you have better luck than I did. This is exactly why I am using Mac at the main studio.
    Styxx

I will NEVER make the move to Vista. Tried it out on a test PC, never seen such a pile of...

I have to agree with Tony. Such a long wait for such a big disappointment.

Well, here it is if you're brave enough;

Vista SP1

I would read this first though.

Microsoft has released the long-awaited first Windows Vista Service Pack, a wrap-up of incremental updates that apparently cripples certain vendors' software.
    SP1 tackles reliability and performance, adds support for new hardware and wraps in earlier updates for compatibility with third party software. Microsoft claims more than 2,000 applications are now "certified for" or "work with" Windows Vista.

The only problem? A number of security products won't start up or run on updated desktops thanks to "compatibility problems". Among those affected are BitDefender AV or Internet Security, Fujitsu Shock Sensor and Zone Alarm Security Suite. Meanwhile, other products will experience "loss of functionality" once you've installed SP1, Microsoft said.
    Microsoft has also introduced a number of security changes to Windows Vista, including updates to BitLocker drive encryption. And SP1 is "aligned" with Windows Server 2008, the two operating systems sharing common files in Internet Information Services and concurrent user support.
    The first Windows Vista SP has long been seen by some analysts, at least, as the catalyst for broad uptake of the operating system among businesses.

On the PC side. . . I actually can't upgrade to Vista because, 1) I have an old Dell Workstation that probably doesn't have one hardware on it that's Vista compatible and, 2) I don't plan on purchasing a new PC anytime soon.

On the Mac side. . . I won't upgrade to Leopard because, 1) there still seems to be significant issues between Leopard and Logic and third party plug-ins, 2) possible issues between firewire ports and Leopard and 3) has issues with Apple's Core Audio (it ain't working correctly, from what I've read).

So. . . on the PC side, I'm staying with XP Pro SP2 (I "fixed" the problem associated with SP2 and firewire port as suggested by Microsoft). On the Mac side, I'm staying with Tiger which plays relatively well with Logic and plug-ins.

Bottom line wish for me. . . I wish for an operating system that is highly reliable for the computer-based composer/musician/sequencer that's compatible with today's audio/video software and plug-ins.

I guess a wish is just a wish. . . .
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Quote Originally Posted by efiebke View Post
    On the Mac side. . . I won't upgrade to Leopard because, 1) there still seems to be significant issues between Leopard and Logic and third party plug-ins, 2) possible issues between firewire ports and Leopard and 3) has issues with Apple's Core Audio (it ain't working correctly, from what I've read).
    That's smart. However, there have been significant updates that may have cured many of these issues. But if Tiger is working for you now, stick with it! Check with Apple Discussions and see if the problems you have noted still remain.
    Garritan on GarageBand '08 using Intel iMac with 1.5G RAM
    Listen to my collection here

Well, so far it's been a couple days with SP1. I had the "driver issue" that blocked SP1 from showing up in Windows Update, but I was brave/stupid enough to download it directly from Microsoft.

It does seem a bit more stable, memory usage is down, UAC isn't as nagging as it used to be, and I didn't have that problem with my soundcard driver (that's what was blocking it). All I'm using is Finale/Sibelius + JABB/CAMB/GPO, so I can't say about synth drivers and controller driver issues.

Really though, this ain't no XP SP2, and I didn't expect it to be, it's just a bunch of small updates.
    Anthony Abruscato

"There are only two types of music: Love Songs and Pirate Music"

HP Pavillion dv6171cl w/ Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit, 2 GB Ram, 250 GB 5200 RPM HD + an external 300 GB HD. GPO, JABB, CAMB, Sibelius 5.1, Finale 2008a, and a demo copy of FL studio.

Works fine here: HP notebook 2,4 Ghz, 4 gig ram, Vista 64 business, samplitude pro 10.02, Kontakt 3: Faster, shorter asio buffers on saffire le firewire interface...

Best,

Johannes

Go Back to forum