• Register
  • Help

Topic: The missing Percussion Library

Share/Bookmark

The missing Percussion Library

With all the percussion type libraries out there
    is there anything missing?

As a composer for film, what would you like to see in a new percussion
    type library that you have not seen yet?

and last, what are the best parts of your current collections for you?
    and what would you do to improve them?

Re: The missing Percussion Library

I would like some extenssively sampled Toms and Roto Toms (pitched and unpitched).

With the current ones I quickly hear the same sample play repeatedly when doing fast phrases.

I would also like to see some sampled Bhangra Dhol (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEIPXOP6xV4). Famous from John Powell's Bourne Identidy scores - so very cinematic.

Those are the three things I would love to have done extenssively, with many layers, and round robin samples.

Gimme a shout if you sample any of them

Good luck.

I'd like to see more of the "weird" articulations like bowed percussion, as well as interesting things like conch shells (which Jerry Goldsmith used to great effect in Planet of the Apes and Alien)

---A really great brazilian samba library. Single hits. Not loops. ALL the en masse groups of instruments -and- the small ensemble stuff.

---JC

Quote Originally Posted by dalek3 View Post
    I'd like to see more of the "weird" articulations like bowed percussion, as well as interesting things like conch shells (which Jerry Goldsmith used to great effect in Planet of the Apes and Alien)
    Agreed... I would definately like to see this as well.

I'd like to see more choices of mallets and sticks ... to reflect what drummers would have to do in the real world. For example, you want a soft mallet to do a nice, diffused, cymbol cresendo for a ballad. Fine. But suppose you want to quote a section of the ballad in your overture and you need a tight cymbol hit immediately afterword. I'm assuming that a live drummer would flip the mallet over and hit the cymbol with the wooden part, right?

Garritan JABB has some nice stuff, like the figure 8 pattern for the brushes on a snare drum. Not being a drummer or percussionist myself, and not knowing a lot about how they do what they do, I am dependent on percussion libraries to some extent to figure out how a part can be physically played so that I don't write something that is impossible to perform.

Another thing that always bugs me is, in a library with a lot of cymbol samples, I'd rather have, say, two cymbols sampled every possible way (crash, scrape, on the bell, on the rim, etc.) than lots of different cymbols sampled only one or two ways. JABB is good in this respect, too. But since percussion is basically all color and dynamics, it seems to me that you can never have too many articulations or velocity layers.

Over the years I have built me my own Percussion Library.

I have edited many sounds from all the libs I have and there are some own recorded samples also, but this library will never get ready... .

My tip to you: Experiment for example in Kontakt Sampler. There are so many great things you can do with the samples! Or build your new big percussion patches by mixing some ore many different sounds in your sequencer (with using all the great plugs you have...), save them and then build new instruments with this samples in Kontakt!

Just my 2 cents.

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

--A good jazz drummer can do -tons- with a tiny kit just because of all the stick variations. Most drum libs simply add MORE DRUMS and CYMBALS! You don't need more drums to hit. You need more hits for each drum!

---So I disagree a -little- with GermanComponist because the cohesive sound of a kit comes from the interaction/resonances of sounds... which is why multi-mic kits are so important. Ya gotta hear the sound of the snare resonating when you hit the Ride.

---Where are the jazz kits with loads of cymbal scrapes and elbows on toms and whacks on the side of hi-hats and all the other things that made any 50's jazz guy get so much -SOUND- from a single kit? No one has done this. I guess coz' it ain't 'sexy'.

---JC

Quote Originally Posted by ejr View Post
    Another thing that always bugs me is, i lot of cymbol samples, I'd rather have, say, two cymbols sampled every possible way (crash, scrape, on the bell, on the rim, etc.) than lots of different cymbols sampled only one or two ways. JABB is good in this respect, too. But since percussion is basically all color and dynamics, it seems to me that you can never have too many articulations or velocity layers.

Oops,

Suntower, I was more talking about a cinema-percussionsound-library with all the big boooooms and so on..... .

What you are saying all about a jazz drummer and his jazz drumkit..., I totaly agree!
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Go Back to forum