• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New Easter piece for Orchestra and Choir

Share/Bookmark

New Easter piece for Orchestra and Choir

Hello everyone.

Good evening.

I just finished a new composition for orchestra and choir entitled Libera Me, Domine. Just in time for Easter. It was written for a Christian Radio station's Easter Program. The text comes from the Libera Me section of the traditional Requiem mass. I thought that the text matched my idea pretty well.

The piece is a tone poem depicting the pain of the apostles as they watched their Lord being crucified. Then, we have the two Mary's going to anoint the body of Jesus. Upon rolling back the stone, they find the Archangel Gabriel, who says, "Weep not, for your Lord is risen!!" The final section represents the renewal of faith that happens when we all decide to believe, just as the Apostles were made to believe.

Here's the text that I used. I liberally took sections of the text and applied them as the composition needed.

Libera me, Domine, - Deliver me, O Lord!!
    Chorus angelorum te suscipiat - May a Choir of Angels receive you.
    Agnus Dei - Day of the Lord

I have to admit that I thoroughly enjoyed writing this piece. It took me about 18 hours to write and about 6 hours to record and mix. I wrote it using GPO, Eastwest Symphonic Choirs, Sibelius 5 and Digital Performer 5. I used Waves IR-L Convolution Reverb (Todd AO Recording Studio Convolution) I recorded the Orchestra straight from Sibelius 5, but I had to export the Choir parts to Digital Performer so I could use the wordbuilder that comes with Symphonic Choirs. This is my first attempt at using their wordbuilding application

Here's the address:

www.jonathoncox.com/Music/Original/Concert/LiberaMeDomine.mp3

I'll have a score score for you to look at this weekend.

OK, I really hope that you enjoy this. If it doesn't work or you have any problems, please let me know.
    Have a good night.
    Jonathon
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Re: New Easter piece for Orchestra and Choir

One word:
    Astonishing...

Gives me the chills...

Thank you for posting!
    string quartet (ˈstriŋ kwȯr-ˈtet) n. a good violinist, a bad violinist, an ex-violinist, and someone who hates violinists, all getting together to complain about composers

I've listened through this twice, Jonathon, with much
    appreciation... very beautiful, moving writing in it;
    with able and impactful use of choir and lovely
    orchestration.

I begin to wonder, though, if perhaps I'm having a
    codec problem. As with a prior recording, this sounded
    very distant, blurred, muffled; and the level was rather
    low.

I was able to hear it well enough, though, to appreciate
    the admirable job of writing in it.

Well done!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thanks for listening and comment guys. I really appreciate it. I feel that I was in a special place when I was writing this, if that makes any sense.

David, I've tried this on several computers and I am unable to recreate your problem. Is anyone else having this same issue? I'm sorry that it isn't working correctly for you David. Maybe, I should re-encode it as a WMP or some other audio file.

Let me know if you have any other thoughts.

Once again, thanks for listening and I hope everyone enjoys the composition.

Have a good night.

Jonny

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Darned if I know, Jonny. No other anomalies on anything
    else. Who knows... lol! I would not get overly concerned
    over this unless others report it -- it could just be some
    strange quirk of my individual system.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Hi Johnny,
    listening to this now -- it is very beautiful, moving. I think I am experiencing what Dave did -- the choir especially sounds distant, kind of a metallic tunnel sound. Nevertheless, very lovely. Thanks for posting it.
    And Happy Easter!
    Karen

Hi Jonathon,

A lovely piece of music this. But the rendering lets it down - I am experiencing the same issues as David. It comes across as having too much reverb - it is very muddy and distant - perhaps this is happening in the conversion to MP3? Have you listened to the MP3 version? I have experienced at times cases where the MP3 version sounds a lot more muddy than the original.

But it is a lovely piece of music!

Hello everyone,

Happy Easter morning.

I'm sorry that you guys are having problems with the MP3. I've played it on both my Mac and PC and it comes through fine. I'm not sure what you are hearing. It sounds like you are hearing a compression rate problem, but I'll be darned if I can figure out why you hear it and I don't. I'll try to re-encode this later today and see if that works.

Sorry for the inconvenience. This is two tunes in a row now that something like this has happened. Maybe the Forum Gods are telling me I shouldn't post things anymore!! Oh well.

Have a nice day everyone.

Jonny

Jonny,

Comes through loud and clear, here. Nice, large, massive sound - but still with a kind of lyricism. Very lovely, and very simple - in the best sense of that word. There is a kind of innocence in the passage that appears about halfway in, and it seems to fit perfectly.

A very touching work, and perfect for this day.

Thanks for sharing it!
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Jonathan:

Very lovely music and very well orchestrated. I liked the
    separation you provided for the choir's role in the piece. Not
    too much of one thing made this an interesting listen.

At the beginning, I heard some of what David was alluding to. It
    seemed a little "dim" in volume and clarity. As the piece got rolling,
    this cleared up a lot.

Very well done Jonathan.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast