• Register
  • Help

Topic: Malmsjö clicking?

Share/Bookmark

Malmsjö clicking?

Is it me, or is there a lot of clickage on certain notes of this piano? That\'s the only thing preventing me from buying this right away. These little spring noises could really stick out when adding reverb.

Re: Malmsjö clicking?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by A_Sapp:
    Is it me, or is there a lot of clickage on certain notes of this piano? That\'s the only thing preventing me from buying this right away. These little spring noises could really stick out when adding reverb.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I installed mine on saturday and had no problems except that the IMPORTER would lock up on me. I\'m running \"2.5\". Are there any particular notes?

Could be your setup of course

no no, the actual recorded samples have spring noises in them. I think it\'s because the piano is so old, and it\'s bound to have a few springs louder than usual here and there.

Did you view it via an editor? I dont hear any clicks. I think it has a really decent warm chamber quality, but still like the gigapiano for orchestral stuff.

What other pianos you got? Im interested in suggestions

I don\'t own gigastudio. (will in a week) That\'s why I\'m asking about this. Someone said that this piano library is good for orchestral stuff. I heard borsendorf was good, but the M. Piano is real warm and almost dream like. When I listen to the demos though, I hear springy noises on certain notes. I think it\'s in the actual samples themselves. What do you think of the M. Piano anyhow?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>When I listen to the demos though, I hear springy noises on certain notes. I think it\'s in the actual samples themselves. What do you think of the M. Piano anyhow?[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I played it alittle tonight. There are a few soft spots at C2 and Eb2. But hardly noticable. These are in the release samples. After I played it a while I swear I couldn\'t make it happen again! Its like my playing fixed the dampers. I don\'t think its the springs.

Another thing I noted, just like a real piano the upper strings are not all in tune. What I mean is you have 3 strings side by side for each note and they are not always in tune - just like a real piano of this age. The tension of the strings via pegs are hard to keep from slipping. But don\'t worry, most of them are in tune...you don\'t notice it that much. It all adds a dimension of realism, because you feel like you are in a room listening to someoone play

I like the piano because its more REAL than the perfect 20 foot million dollar grands. To me, this is a great accomp. piano for chamber work, or if you want t add a sense of vunerability in the playing - a perfect romantic piano. The reverie demo show it off the best. Im not sure how it will fit in an orchestra setting. Probably would be good for an orchestra because it sounds naturally placed - not in your face at all. Would also be good for chamber orchestra size pieces. But for SATB chorus, war horse concerti or rock n roll, forget it. Not a bright piano. This is more a drawing room grand.

All in all I would recommend it as an extension to your piano collections, including giga. The other options are the Bosen and the Steinway model B.

I\'m hesitant to buy these latters just yet, because the gigaP gives me plenty of brightness, and I wasn\'t too impressed with the demos there.

I did have problems installing it. My giga 160 locked up on import. It comes on two disks and the import feature is supposed to merge both files. Not to worry, as there is a batch file for appending the samples together to get a single GIG file.

I just noticed there is an update page at artvista.net

Cheers

Just to add that it does come with more than one variation of piano here:

Malmsjo
    Malmsjo w/ extended dynamics
    Malmsjo Rock Grand

but they aren\'t bright like the Yamaha GigaPiano...

Found out via email D#2 has a patch, but it isn\'t released yet officially.

Hans is still testing tweaking it...

I think the demos prolly have an earlier version of the piano before these updates at the site.

Go Back to forum