• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Hey! Where do you ...

Share/Bookmark

Cool Hey! Where do you ...

think you're going with your music? Just curious in seeing ones expectations, hopes, dreams, wants, needs, and future expectations. Mine, well let's just put it this way ... my life is in perspective. I really don't have the need to go anywhere famous or a spot in the limelight. But, if the offer ever came though .... I would probably have a heart attack knowing my luck!
    Styxx

Re: Hey! Where do you ...

For me, it's musicals all the way. Perhaps the hope to compose for film as well, but who knows?

Musicals, it would be nice to have more new musicals instead of the same old Sound of Music.
    I never attempted to write a musical but have conducted plenty. Was fun for fifteen years and I have to admit I miss it a little yet not as much as I thought.
    Follow those dreams and never let anyone tell you any different!
    Styxx

Back in 1990, I moved to Milwaukee to work for Hal Leonard to do music engraving. I thought, at the time, that I had finally got my "foot in the door" with this big music publisher and that I would be able to get music published. Well, it didn't happen quite that way. Though I have had mixed feelings about my years there, I do not regret the time I spent working for Hal Leonard. It introduced me to a lot of music programs and hardware that I might never have had excess to otherwise (Digital Performer, Finale, Score, even the Synclavier). I remember when the first Roland Sound Canvas was brought to Hal Leonard and I was able to have so much fun with that, long before most consumers were even able to buy one. How far we've come since then. I did manage to get one piece of string orchestral music published, though it wasn't through them, but rather through a small publisher in Madison. It was even a required state piece for high school string orchestras, much to my surprise. Just over a year ago myself and three wonderful ladies put our first Christmas CD together and it sold very well locally. I thank Gary Garritan for his Personal Orchestra library as it helped me to create most of the tunes I did for that CD. I continue to write for the church choir I direct and for another local chorus I sing in. I'm content with where I am, but I'm always looking for the possibility to work/collaborate with other musicians. And like you, CoolZidane, I'd love to score for a film, too! That would be incredible! This forum is such a great group to be a part of.

Gary

Didn't mean to be so loooooonnnnggg winded!
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

That was a favorable story Gary! Thanks for sharing!
    Styxx

I've been very fortunate to have some success as a performer, even though I am an auto-didact (that means I taught myself, Styxx). I figured out how to do some stuff on the euphonium that nobody else was doing and got a lot of mileage out of doing it at high schools and colleges, as well as concert halls, churches, and gin mills throughout the midwest. As my bio says, I have concertized extensively on both sides of I-65.

Well, I'm sensing that my 15 minutes of regional notoriety as a performer are starting to run out--so I intend now to sit down figure out what I've been doing for the past 20 years or so.
    I'm using my Garritan Libraries along with the orchestration and jazz arr. online lessons to get the music education I never really had. My notation software and GPO/JABB/COMB are giving me the instant feedback that facilitates learning. Additionally, I soak up the wisdom and experience of all the local talent here and try to contribute in areas for which I am qualified by experience. In MANY ways, hanging out here is a real education.

So where am I headed as I slouch toward cutting back my performance schedule? More time for introspection, more actual practice, less writing on a "need to write" basis, and more on a "want to write" basis. Less playing on a "gotta play" basis and more on a "wanna play" basis. I had intended to start this "study program" earlier, but my day gig sorta requires re-invention from time to time, and I'm in the middle of that now. But this summer things will stabilize and I will have the time to do some more study. I'm one of those individuals who can learn but can't be taught, so I'll buckle down soon & get to work, with the help of some great software.
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Good question. Something I've been wrestling with for a while too.

I can say for right now I'm writing what I want to write as opposed to what a college professor or student peers might expect.

I was a freelance player and teacher in town for several years and really became disenchanted with the instability that went along with it. I do miss some aspects of being a full time musician, but for now I'm content to write what I want when I want. Hopefully I will solidify my craft to the point that I could do something with it if/when the opportunity presented itself.

Steve

This is pleasurable to read everyones replies. I used to think I would make something of myself in music. Now, I find it more to my liking to stay home and spend as much time with my wife, children, dog, and me house! Lately, I've come to realize just how fortunate I am for the first time in my life. Sure, I would have loved to have lived out my life long ambition playing with a symphony orchestra of notoriety. Those days are gone now that me thumbs are all messed up!
    Continue please ....

Professor J. W. you are a great person in my book!
    Styxx

Well when I was a wee'un I had a burning need to become a composer. Teaching high school was just something I was going to do (because I'd reached that age where your parents start hinting that your bedroom would make a nice space to have grandchildren round to stay) while I churned out a few masterpieces and got myself noticed....

...then I got a family (who don't go to stay with my parents nearly enough) and I haven't got the guts to live a risky life-style anymore. I've forgotten who I even was, musically speaking. I know I used to get tremendous pleasure listening to 20th century classical music, yet last night I heard Berg's violin concerto on the radio and was left totally cold by it. Even scarier is the thought that I seem to be taking genuine interest in the stuff that I've been forced to engage with as a teacher - beatboxing, gamelan, rap, reggae, African drumming etc. I now have a very superficial knowledge of a gazillion things, but have ceased to deepen my understanding of the stuff I wanted to write. Equally performance-wise; I used to be a very good pianist - playing very knotty 20th century stuff. Now I'm learning Theremin, beatboxing, waterphone, musical saw, and every other new shiny thing that catches my interest. All of it very superficially, and I haven't practised piano in twelve years.

I guess they based Mr Holland's Opus on my life. And, unfortunately, when I retire, and they surprise me by playing the masterpiece I've been creating all my life, it will probably be just as crap as the stinker the film ends with.

Goals? Goals?! We don't need no stinkin' goals!! How about some Old Bushmills and a few lasses here and there? Oh, yeah and the music...never forget the music...
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Go Back to forum