• Register
  • Help

Topic: Concepts (some light jazz)

Share/Bookmark

Concepts (some light jazz)

This is bit different from the orchestral stuff I've composed in the past.. I composed music for a university conference on concepts (psychology). Couldn't make the music too exciting or it would overpower the subject matter. The customer requested jazz, and I went with a very mellow, laid-back approach, but still tried to make it interesting as stand-alone music. It was mostly done with JABB. Posted an earlier version of this and got very helpful feedback from this forum which allowed me to tweak the final version.

The piece is "Concepts" at http://mikeducharme.myknet.org/newmusic.html

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Concepts (some light jazz)

I'm listening as I write - just to keep my impressions right on top.

I like the lines and the progressions. I think, though, that two areas want some tweaking:

The Piano is too dominant (actually overpowers the Trumpet and the Flute), and has too much reverb. It doesn't sound intimate at all to me. The setting sounds as though the Piano has front center while the other instruments are too far behind it.

The other area is in the instrumental lines: they could use a little loose-jointedness, if you know what I mean by that. They sound almost quantized, while the Piano doesn't sound that way. I'd love to hear a remix of this where the other instruments have a more fair share of the stage.

Interestingly, the player took me right into "Laura in Action - Big Ending," where from the beginning I heard the kind of sonic balance I missed in the first piece. (A gorgeous piece, by the way!)

It's well done otherwise, and yes, it is interesting without feeling like a "distraction" (keeping in mind the setting you wrote it for). Thank you for sharing this.

Joe

Hi,

Thanks very much for the feedback!

I had originally had the flute and trombone louder but that gave it too much of a "jazz-club" feel which I was purposely avoiding for this.. having to write jazz that isn't too happy, isn't too sad, and doesn't make the person feel like they are sitting in a jazz club is a bit of a tall order.. it took me a while to get it just right.. so to avoid the jazz club feel I made the trombone and flute background on purpose.

Mike

It sounds fine for the purpose. It has a little edge and intelligence but doesn't intrude on the ear.

If it does the job then you have been successful.

Phil

I like this very cool piece. Very relaxing and soothing music. Thank you.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

dalek3:

"The other area is in the instrumental lines: they could use a little loose-jointedness, if you know what I mean by that. They sound almost quantized, while the Piano doesn't sound that way. I'd love to hear a remix of this where the other instruments have a more fair share of the stage."

I pretty well agree with jmpaquette in his overall assessment. To the above quote, I would add that I heard too much of the "non-swinging" dotted eight and sixteenth style in the melodic lines. Good instrumental sounds.

sos

Nice job on this, Mike. It's "got good bones", as they say;
    solid lines and a good build. With others, I think loosening
    it up a bit would benefit.

Enjoyed the piece!

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum