• Register
  • Help

Topic: Polkadots and Moonbeams

Share/Bookmark

Polkadots and Moonbeams

Well..........I just got JABB two weeks ago (so this is my first attempt at it) and have struggled or should I say wrestled (as in WWF) with it ever since.......However I did manage to get one work put together.....This is my arrangement of an old time coposition that I've had around for at least 20 years or more.....I've always loved it.....However for what ever reason the MP3 site I am on will not play the version I want you to hear so I got this one to play instead.....the difference is in this version the keyboard is a little in the back ground and the Reverb is a little too heavy....but like I said I did fix them but it will not play.......But I still hope you like it anyway....
    Cliff

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/showmp3.asp?mp3id=52977
    three year old E machine
    GPO Sibelius Edition (now Liberated!)
    GPO Personal Orchestra
    GPO Jazz Band
    2 Classic Guitar Degrees (or so I was informed)
    Not a lick of sense!

Re: Polkadots and Moonbeams

This a great old fashioned sentimental song. A real nice melody actually.

The arrangement and rendering sounds fine.

I'm not a jazz person but maybe it needs more of a jazz feel to it. I think it takes a slipping of the notes and not right on the beat. Something like that.

This sounds like Lawrence Welk style to me. Real straightsville.

I'll let someone else explain it or correct me if I'm wrong.

Phil

First, hope your health is improving. I'm glad you're back with us enough to put time into music.

I'm with Fastlane on this: It needs a bit more swing. Maybe the version you weren't able to post does this. How about upping the tempo just a bit?

Any of that aside, I like your voicings, and, once again, the Garritan sounds come through for me. Nice work on this.

Best,

Joe

jmpaquette

First, hope your health is improving. I'm glad you're back with us enough to put time into music. YES it is thank you sir.......In fact I have to go back to work on Monday>>>>>>> God I loved being off....I had the chance to write everyday........it may not have been good but at least I tried......

I'm with Fastlane on this: It needs a bit more swing. Maybe the version you weren't able to post does this. How about upping the tempo just a bit?

Any of that aside, I like your voicings, and, once again, the Garritan sounds come through for me. Nice work on this.
    thank you.........funny thing about the voicings.....I redid the instrumentation 3 times before I got here.....I was really trying to go for a sound like the band "Chicago"..... and I do not think I got there....but like I said this was my first attempt with JABB and I am NO JAZZ arranger by any means......so this was just a stab at it......

Joe

fastlane
    This a great old fashioned sentimental song. A real nice melody actually.

The arrangement and rendering sounds fine.

I'm not a jazz person but maybe it needs more of a jazz feel to it. I think it takes a slipping of the notes and not right on the beat. Something like that.

This sounds like Lawrence Welk style to me. Real straightsville.

I'll let someone else explain it or correct me if I'm wrong

Gentlemen

Thank you for responding....I appreciat it.........Funny you should say that it does'nt swing.......I did the arrangement in Sebilus and added swing to the performance (which did translate to the saved midi file) and when I saved it as a midi file and opened it in sonar to do the rendering absolutly nothing was on the down beat....everything was slightly before or slightly after afteer the beat......so I THOUGHT that I had that one covered!!!!!!
    I guess I was mistaken.....sorry.....I will try to go back and fix that because the other version is pretty much the same except for the keybd is a more upfront and the reverb is not as pronounced..........!!!!!
    I'm glad you guys said this. I did try other versions of the swing pattern in Sibelius and I just felt they were too much for this tune.........as for the tempo......I already upped it once and it cut the tune time in half........Do I need to up it again????? If so I will.......I just do not like this tune too fast.....for what ever reason it just does not feel right fast.
    I find it a great help to hear what others think.......because I'm thinking one way and in reality it's not that way.........but that is what I love about this board......I appreciate your help guys........I do mean this in sincerity.........I am not .....NOT trying to be a wise guy......I take your critique in the sense that it was given.......with the spirt of trying to help me........and I thank you very much........
    Cliff
    three year old E machine
    GPO Personal Orchestra
    GPO Jazz Band
    Not a lick of sense!

I enjoyed the tranquille mood of this piece. Great work with JABB. Thank you.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Glad to know you're able to get back to the salt mines!

I agree with you about "not too fast" on this tune. Just a tad bit faster, perhaps . . . but more to the point about "swing" . . . It's the phrasing of the lines, as I think you know. They're just a bit too tight.

You said that Sibelius' "swing" setting was too much. Is there a way to vary the amount of swing Sibelius uses?

A bit O.T. here, but this is why the notation/sequencer "debate" is ongoing: some people find it easier to modify phrasing with their chosen approach. With Sonar's piano roll, for instance, you can turn "snap" off, and stretch/shrink notes and phrases, and loop your play until you're satisfied with the sound. I would think that with notation you could change note resolution and do the same thing, but I don't know. Perhaps a notation expert would chime in on this one.

I'd still say it's a nice arrangement. There's definitely a learning curve for JABB (and any other library), and the journey is the joy!

Joe

As LouisD already said.... nice, tranquille, good for a snowy afternoon.
    Nice tune. Go on posting..... and watch your health.

Raymond

Hi CLiff,

You did a really nice job of capturing that 1930's, laid back jazz ballad feel; kind of the pre-1940's swing thing. You're doing well with JABB also, and there's a ton of stuff in it to wrap your head around. One minor issue I noticed was that -- for my taste -- the vibrato was at times a little too predominant. It was very close, though, to the 1930's/early 40's style, which is really difficult to pull off.

I thought the rendering was very well done -- the reverb that you mentioned was too much didn't seem so at all to me. Sounded just right!

Nice job on this, Cliff, especially considering it's your first stab at JABB. I enjoyed it very much; thanks for posting!

Danny

jmpaquette

Glad to know you're able to get back to the salt mines!
    Thank you..it means a lot to me!!!!

I agree with you about "not too fast" on this tune. Just a tad bit faster, perhaps .I do not remember if I stated that I upped the tempo from it's original tempo....I did Not want to make it to fast because then you really do lose the style from the era it is from...so I was trying to be true to that sense . . but more to the point about "swing" . . . It's the phrasing of the lines, as I think you know. They're just a bit too tight.
    OK I can understand that! I will try to pay more attention to that aspect the next arrangement......I guess I did not understand what you ment the first time you stated this.....thanks

You said that Sibelius' "swing" setting was too much. Is there a way to vary the amount of swing Sibelius uses?
    YES there is...I am not great at it be I do konw how to........maybe I should have played with the parameters that could be varied and left the defalut drop down preset parameters alone!!!

A bit O.T. here, but this is why the notation/sequencer "debate" is ongoing: some people find it easier to modify phrasing with their chosen approach. With Sonar's piano roll, for instance, you can turn "snap" off, and stretch/shrink notes and phrases, and loop your play until you're satisfied with the sound. I would think that with notation you could change note resolution and do the same thing, but I don't know. Perhaps a notation expert would chime in on this one.
    I have been wondering about this myself.....especially while going thru this work..Yes there is a way in both Sebilus and in Sonar.....I kinda of think that it's a personal choice based on your work flow likes and dislikes, your understanding of the given software and it's capabilities and your abilities with the software, how much experimentation and past experience you have with each piece of software and the style you are striving for.......So I think that a lot comes into play here and the choice you make on how to achieve the end result.....In the end if you achieve the proper end result.....what does it really matter what path you chose to come to it's conclusion??...I think that is what I love about this so much is that ther is ALWAYS more than one way to accomplish the same end result...this is what makes us all so different in attitude, approach and thought sequence... I don't know it's Just my take on this....

I'd still say it's a nice arrangement. There's definitely a learning curve for JABB (and any other library), and the journey is the joy!
    Thank you and I do agree with you.....it is the journey!!!!!!

Raymond62
    As LouisD already said.... nice, tranquille, good for a snowy afternoon.
    Nice tune. Go on posting..... and watch your health

RAymond and Louis D
    Thank you both for listening......I appreciate the effort!

Danny
    You did a really nice job of capturing that 1930's, laid back jazz ballad feel; kind of the pre-1940's swing thing.
    Thank you....for what ever reason this sort of style I get!!! and I really love..
    You're doing well with JABB also, and there's a ton of stuff in it to wrap your head around. I know that you are correct here....Like I said this was my first crack at it.....I did struggle and redo the instrumentation 3 times before I landed with this format.....my biggest problem was with INTONATION!!!! it was wacked!!!!!and it ground on my nerves so much that I wanted to pull my hari out...(I'm Bald!)
    One minor issue I noticed was that -- for my taste -- the vibrato was at times a little too predominant. It was very close, though, to the 1930's/early 40's style, which is really difficult to pull off.
    Intresting comment....I tried very hard to NOT over do it.....HOWEVER... I found that in order to have the T-Bone vibrato heard I needed to be a little more heavy handed.....I did not really enjoy that aspect....but then again maybe I just did not draw in the controllers correctly???!!!
    I would always vote for Operator error before I stated that it was the software!!!!! but I am glad to hear some one else knows this style and era of music.

I thought the rendering was very well done -- the reverb that you mentioned was too much didn't seem so at all to me. Sounded just right!
    Thank you!

Nice job on this, Cliff, especially considering it's your first stab at JABB. I enjoyed it very much; thanks for posting

To everyone:
    thank you for replying because I have been kinda down lately and really needed to here some good things......(even if I might have some discrepencies) but I do appreciate all your suggestions.....they make my day a lot brighter.....

Cliff
    three year old E machine
    GPO Personal Orchestra
    GPO Jazz Band
    Not a lick of sense!

Great to hear you're getting back in the saddle,
    Cliff. Hell of a way to get a vacation...

Enjoyed the visit with this sentimental old
    favorite -- quite a creditable job on it, especially
    as you're still WWF'ing with JABB.

Keep it coming, Cliff!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum