• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Movie Music Challenge 2

Share/Bookmark

Movie Music Challenge 2

Hey, Everyone:

I think it's time we got the next Movie Challenge started, so here we go. How about a Let's Pretend Story to get things moving.

Not long ago a film student found tucked away in his grandmother's attic a copy of a movie from 1949. It had never been released; consequently it had no music written for it. When he watched the film he found it to have this story:

The setting is Los Angeles in the years following world War II. Robert Mitchum plays a former private detective who underwent an accident so traumatic he has become a recluse in a big house in the hills. He has turned his back on humanity. Veronica Lake is a woman with a mysterious past whose father (Walter Huston) has been missing; and now she must try to find him. Her search leads to Robert Mitchum's house where he reluctantly allows her to stay. Meanwhile, a gangland though-guy (Jack Palance) whose amorous affections for Veronica Lake blind him to the fact that she can't stand him, follows her to Mitchum's house. He and his pal (Elisha Cooke, Jr.) end up in a fight with Mitchum just at the point when Lake has softened Mitchum's heart. Mitchum kills the hoods, and the police arrive to arrest him and take him downtown to charge him with murder. Things look bleak after that. The End.

**Now the film student wants to have this movie released and is meeting with studio executives to view a 3 to 4 minute synopsis version of the film. He needs music to be written for this viewing, so that's your job if you decide to accept this challenge. Oh, and the working title of the movie is "Beauty and the Bete Noire.*** (Bete Noire is French for someone or something to be avoided or is repulsive; literally "Black Beast")

Some of you will recognize elements of a Film Noir style. Movies of the 40's and 50's that have edgier themes and that rely on heavy atmospheric effects. Movies such as "Laura", "The Big Sleep", or more recently "Chinatown", are examples of the Film Noir style. A more accurate description and examples may certainly be entertained.

I hope you have some fun with this challenge. And now for the rules: (the assignment is 2 paragraphs up)

1) Your entry should have substantially been created using Garritan libraries (GPO, JABB, Strad, Gofriller, Marching Band, etc. – if there are etc’s).

2) You may enter as many times as you'd like, as long as each entry is substantially different.

3) The winner is chosen after the entries have been posted anonymously on the NSS forum, and the forum members have voted for their favorite in a poll. How the forum members judge which is their favorite is totally up to them.

4) The winner of the Challenge wins nothing, except the acclaim of the forum, and the honor of setting the next Challenge.

5) The Challenge Setter may enter his or her own Challenge. (Please read, yes, he or she may enter their own contest. Why not, everyone has all the same info.)

Entries in mp3 form can be sent to: wfrayer@centurytel.net A kind thank you to William Rayer for offering to collect the entries.

Deadline for entries is May 11th. This gives seven weeks time to put something together. Best of luck to all of you who decide to participate.

Sincerely,
    Brian Sagraves

Re: Movie Music Challenge 2

This promises to be fun (rubbing hands together and getting ready to compose)
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Hey, Everyone:

Just trolling for a few nibbles. Anyone interested so far?

Brian

Brian

Great theme. Given my poor showing in the voting last month I will have to redeem myself and show that I can write something better. I'll be starting on this soon.

Welcome Sepheritoh!

Hmm, does the oh stand for Ohio?

Challenge #10 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer View Post
    Welcome Sepheritoh!

Hmm, does the oh stand for Ohio?
    Hi

Ermm... which Oh?

Quote Originally Posted by Sepheritoh View Post
    Hi

Ermm... which Oh?

Sepheritoh

Just wondered - us Ohioans must stick together.

Challenge #10 Winner

Ah see

I wish! The Oh is .. well.. not sure actually

I'm livin' down here in the corner of Africa. Not as glamorous unfortunately.

We might not have a disney world, but we do have a Mugabe as a neighbour providing for the jokes.

Well, this little challenge has actually gotten my creative juices flowing again for the first time in over a year.

I've gotten the first draft of my submission down, I'll be letting it sit for a few days before considering any changes that need to be brought to it.

Fun, fun, fun.

Hey, Everyone:

Seems like an awful lot of activity in the Forum sections lately. I thought we might bring up the latest challenge again to see if there is some new interest.

Brian

Go Back to forum