• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Bach Fugue in G-Minor CMB VS Live Sax Quartet

Share/Bookmark

Bach Fugue in G-Minor CMB VS Live Sax Quartet

I received the recording this week of the Washington Saxophone Quartet that was performed at the Barns at Wolf Trap on Feb. 22, 2008. As a part of the concert they performed my transcription of the Bach "Fugue in G-Minor". I had originally posted it here last year as a demonstration of the CMB's saxophone ensemble quality, with the quartet consisting of soprano, alto, tenor and baritone instruments. Here is the original rendering using Finale 2006 and the CMB library;

www.garybricault.com/mp3/FugueBwv542SaxQuartet.mp3

Here is it performed by the live ensemble. As you will note this is one difficult work to perform with not a lot of breathing room or breaks. Bach just didn't design it that way for the non-keyboardist performer.

www.garybricault.com/mp3/BachFugueGMinorWSaxq.mp3

The live performance is copyright (c) 2008 by Washington Saxophone Quartet (www.wsaxq.com) and used here with permission.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Re: Bach Fugue in G-Minor CMB VS Live Sax Quartet

Gary -

Wonderful orchestrating, and really convincing rendering. There are a few volume anomolies, but then I'm right on top of my speakers as I listen.

I'm looking forward to hearing the live version. Thank you for this. Thank you, too, for the extra effort of obtaining permission to share the live performance.

Best,

Joe

Very nice orchestration on this, Gary. I much prefer the live version over the sampler version. Simply put it is, well, Alive . I love how some of the players push while others pull on the tempo when it suits there line. It makes the piece flow so nicely! Good recording session on it too. Miking was exceptionally good as is the mix.

Am I correct in assuming the CMB version was done in Finale and HP? It sounds too, well perfect. Everything is played precisely on time. Not that the live group didn't try but the little flaws we humans have and the ability to correct ourselves in mid-performance makes each performance a gem unto itself.

You have an excellent Sax group, Bravo!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by jmpaquette View Post
    Gary -

Wonderful orchestrating, and really convincing rendering. There are a few volume anomolies, but then I'm right on top of my speakers as I listen.

I'm looking forward to hearing the live version. Thank you for this. Thank you, too, for the extra effort of obtaining permission to share the live performance.

Best,

Joe
    Thanks Joe. It was a challanging work to put together given that the musicians need to breath. Very little room for tradeoffs. Yes this is the live performance. Hopefully you will hear it performed live someday.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    Very nice orchestration on this, Gary. I much prefer the live version over the sampler version. Simply put it is, well, Alive . I love how some of the players push while others pull on the tempo when it suits there line. It makes the piece flow so nicely! Good recording session on it too. Miking was exceptionally good as is the mix.

Am I correct in assuming the CMB version was done in Finale and HP? It sounds too, well perfect. Everything is played precisely on time. Not that the live group didn't try but the little flaws we humans have and the ability to correct ourselves in mid-performance makes each performance a gem unto itself.

You have an excellent Sax group, Bravo!
    Well the live version is a one of a kind. They are truely and outstanding ensemble, compensating and correcting, catching a quick breath. The concert was recorded for rebroadcast on NPR sometime next year I hope.

The CMB version is what one would expect. Yes Finale and HP works well as a demonstration piece.

I am glad that you enjoyed the live performance as much as I did.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

The sax players must have been on an oxygen machine to do this! I find this all kind of strange with saxes as it is not so common but I must say it really works well. (As you know the sax family is an amazing family) Also a real treat to hear it performed with the real thing. As much as we all love our samples they ain't the same as the real thing. Great transcription work on this Gary!

Del
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

http://www.mdtcommunications.com

Quote Originally Posted by DelCarry View Post
    The sax players must have been on an oxygen machine to do this! I find this all kind of strange with saxes as it is not so common but I must say it really works well. (As you know the sax family is an amazing family) Also a real treat to hear it performed with the real thing. As much as we all love our samples they ain't the same as the real thing. Great transcription work on this Gary!

Del
    Del,

Thanks for your generous comments. Yes they really worked up a sweat pulling this off. And they are really top musicians, constantly working together and adjusting to what ever is going on at the moment. The CMB samples are really excellent I find. These guys, with the classical saxophone sound, are the next level up.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

I listened to your rendering first and thought “wow, that’s pretty good.” Then I listened to the Washington Saxophone Quartet and was totally blown away. Great job you did with the transcription and the quartet is just fantastic. Hope it does get played on NPR.

Actually, my post seems familiar – it seems I had a similar experience with another of your transcriptions and this same quartet.....
    Trent P. McDonald

Congratulations on a wonderful rendition of this piece. The original was great and I enjoyed all the nuances you put into it. Then I listened to the live performance it was just awesome! Great job, Gary! Thank you so much for sharing!!!

Gary
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd View Post
    I listened to your rendering first and thought “wow, that’s pretty good.” Then I listened to the Washington Saxophone Quartet and was totally blown away. Great job you did with the transcription and the quartet is just fantastic. Hope it does get played on NPR.

Actually, my post seems familiar – it seems I had a similar experience with another of your transcriptions and this same quartet.....
    Hi Trent,

Thanks for your kind comments.

I agree with you completely. The rendering gave me a good baseline to determine that the transcription was valid. And it I think it is really good too. But the live performance is really amazing. It was difficult to write it to give the musicians even a little break. A lot of it is shear force of will and skill to make it through the long durations cleanly.

I did post a transcription on a Corelli piece back in November that they performed. So you are correct.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast