• Register
  • Help

Topic: Keith Emerson's brass sounds

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy Keith Emerson's brass sounds

Folks

I'm in the process of re-recording 'Fanfare for the Common Man' and am having trouble finding an appropriate lead sound for the Yamaha GX1 brass used on the record. Can anybody here recommend a library or VI that can recreate the classic Emerson GX sounds?

Many thanks,
    Stephen

Re: Keith Emerson's brass sounds

If I am not wrong there was an old AKAI cd called: "Keith Emerson Dangerous Synth & Organ". Maybe you will find there what you are looking for, but I don't know if this cd will be still available.
    Eduardo Tarilonte |Sample Library Developer
    SampleLibraries |MyWeb

Hi Tari
    Thanks for the reply. From memory though, that CD is mainly Moog modular and Hammond C3 samples - i.e. no Yamaha GX. I wonder if Atmosphere would have anything approaching an emerson style brass patch?
    Cheers,
    Steve

Seems that Gmedia has an expansion in the works for their Virtual String machine.
    It will include GX samples.
    Hopefully not only the Wonderstrings but also the Emmerson Brass.

Dave-pretty pleeze!

Hans

Sounds v. interesting. I await with bated breath!

I also think the old Roland JD800 had some good brass sounds. Might investigate that...

Thanks,
    Stephen

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/archiv...02-09/8802.php

An interesting discussion of the GX-1

The opening brass is..... ta da! Real trumpets. With lots of reverb.

I saw the 'Works' tour in the mid 70's with the full meal deal orchestra.

The GX-1 sounds are fairly typically CS-80 sounds. What makes them 'Yamaha' is
    1. The pitch envelope on one osc to give it that 'whistler' sound
    2. The ability to use aftertouch to modulate the -speed- of the LFO.

The Arturia CS80-V will give you all that.

But equally impressive, IMO are the Moog brass sounds at the end Karn Evil 9 and the end of Trilogy. These sounds took -work- to program. They are a LOT more subtle than typical Mini sounds of that era.

There are FANTASTIC re-creation of these trumpet sounds in the Moog Modular VSTi and the MiniMoog V (also from Arturia). The trick is to use a bit of FM on the attack to give it the appropriate 'spitting' attack. The Modular patch is better because the guy took the time to set up a breath controller to control that attack---really nice.

<HTH>

---JC

Quote Originally Posted by sjduck View Post
    Folks

I'm in the process of re-recording 'Fanfare for the Common Man' and am having trouble finding an appropriate lead sound for the Yamaha GX1 brass used on the record. Can anybody here recommend a library or VI that can recreate the classic Emerson GX sounds?

Many thanks,
    Stephen

Hi kape and Suntower
    Thanks for the link and the advice. I'm going to pull out some of my other ELP LPs and study that brass you're talking about. If all goes well with this demo, I'll be playing the tune live in front of a few thousand work colleagues. Should be interesting!
    Cheers,
    Steve

If we're going to talk about synthesized brass, here's some more info. Here's one of several YT vids that has Walter/Wendy Carlos' synthesized brass at the beginning of The William Tell Overture done on a Moog Modular. Even in low-fi mono, it's still the most impressive synth brass in a commercial recording.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nDqZwe0Kbc

Here's some orchestral brass sounds I synthesized on an Alesis Ion I picked up new for $540. It goes through the different sections from p to f loudnesses from trombone, trumpet, tuba, octave brass, and pseudo-french horn.

http://home.att.net/~synth6/Ion_Brass.mp3

If you want to hear some of that Ion brass in action, here's a piece using it in various places. I noticed one commenter said "That trumpet sound at 2:15 . . amazing !!". So check out that section. You can easily hear how I used the expression pedal and velocity to get the tonal differences between soft and loud trumpet sounds. That trumpet plus the trombone section are all played in real-time polyphonically with no overdubbing at that part of the video, yet with the pedal and velocity, I managed to get them to sound somewhat independent from each other.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2XxwsHhwNk

I have some very realistic brass done on the Arturia Moog Modular V, but I haven't done a solo brass demo since I've further improved the realism of my brass sounds. But I'll say, that most of them sound better, bigger, and more satisfying than those in the Garritan Personal Orch library. But if you want to hear my earlier MMV brass demo before further work was done on them, here it is. The point of all of this is that if you want synth brass or something even more realistic, just synthesize it.

http://home.att.net/~synth6/Arturia_MMV_Brass_Queen.mp3

-Elhardt

Go Back to forum