• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT:Oregon man's property ransacked after Craigslist hoax

Share/Bookmark

OT:Oregon man's property ransacked after Craigslist hoax

KGW News reports
    JACKSONVILLE, Ore. -- A pair of hoax ads on Craigslist cost an Oregon man much of what he owned.

The ads popped up Saturday afternoon, saying the owner of a Jacksonville home was forced to leave the area suddenly and his belongings, including a horse, were free for the taking, said Jackson County sheriff's Detective Sgt. Colin Fagan.

But Robert Salisbury had no plans to leave. The independent contractor was at Emigrant Lake when he got a call from a woman who had stopped by his house to claim his horse. "I informed them I was the owner, but they refused to give the stuff back," Salisbury said. "They showed me the Craigslist printout and told me they had the right to do what they did."

The driver sped away after rebuking Salisbury. On his way home he spotted other cars filled with his belongings.

Once home he was greeted by close to 30 people rummaging through his barn and front porch.

The trespassers, armed with printouts of the ad, tried to brush him off. "They honestly thought that because it appeared on the Internet it was true," Salisbury said. "It boggles the mind."

Jacksonville police and Jackson County sheriff's deputies arrived but by then several cars packed with Salisbury's property had fled.

...Detectives have contacted Craigslist's legal team to try to trace the ad.
    This is very shocking. Do people really assume that if it's on the internet it must be true?
    Meanwhile, Salisbury could not even relax on his porch swing.
    Someone took it.
    This is quite shocking Do people really assume what is on the internet is true?

Re: OT:Oregon man's property ransacked after Craigslist hoax

Very scary!

What a rude prank!

It goes to show, always lock your doors.

Hmmm, I'm debating whether or not to believe this.
    Garritan on GarageBand '08 using Intel iMac with 1.5G RAM
    Listen to my collection here

Here's a post from a digital video forum. Be careful out there!

-JF

"Hi there,

Tis post is to advise everybody to be extremely carefull wen purchasing/selling items on Graigslist.

Unfortunatelly after many times using craigslist I was a victim of a home invasion.

I obviously know now not to trust anyone.. ever.

But also i fill like a complete Idiot, becaouse I let this guy in to my house, as I did many times before( not the same guy), but this time was the one that I will remember.

I was ordered at Gun point to get on the floor, insted I attaked the gunman tryng desperatelly to take the gun away fom Him, but after a very short fight as He pushed back hard my injured left knee let go and I felt on the floor and He shot me.

He then beaten me up and tied me up then beaten me up some more for unfo, then dragged me in to the closet and robbed me.

fortunatelly I,m here to right about it and fill more of an idiot becouse nott only I let the guy in to my house but I try to get the gun away knoing the my left knee is totally F...Up!

Among many items totally over $70,000.00 He toked:

Canon 1D mark 2n, Ef 15mm fisheye, Sigma 12-24mm, Ef 35mm 1.4L, Ef 50mm 1.2L, Emp 65mm macro, Ef 85mm 1.2L II, Ef 135mm 2.8L, Ef 200mm 2.0L II, Ef 400mm 2.8L, G3 lansebaby set up, 17" Macbook G4.

So this are some of the items easy to sale so be alert if buyng, do not do so with out prove of purchase, and please let be omly me the Idiot to pay the price and do not absolutelly let any one in your home and be carefull wen in public places as I was told that they also take guns there not to pay for the items."

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan View Post
    This is quite shocking Do people really assume what is on the internet is true?
    I don't unless it must be a message from Orca Islands.......

Raymond

There was another similar story a year or two ago about a woman who lost all her things because another woman had gotten angry at her and posted a "come and take it" message on Craigslist, timed for when she'd be out of town. She came home to an empty house - everything that wasn't nailed down was taken, including appliances.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

Maybe it doesn't hurt to invest in an alarm system too

Among many items totally over $70,000.00 He toked:

Canon 1D mark 2n, Ef 15mm fisheye, Sigma 12-24mm, Ef 35mm 1.4L, Ef 50mm 1.2L, Emp 65mm macro, Ef 85mm 1.2L II, Ef 135mm 2.8L, Ef 200mm 2.0L II, Ef 400mm 2.8L, G3 lansebaby set up, 17" Macbook G4.

Apparently the thief read "take everything in the joint" as "put everything in a joint"
    If pro is the opposite of con lets look beyond this....the opposite of congress must be progress...

In a related news story. . . .

CNN had a segment,today, on how there's a new SCAM working against some home owners. Apparently, these SCAMers (thieves) steal identites and home-ownership paperwork (land and property deeds) and then sell the homes without the real owners knowing it. I guess this particular SCAM is rearing its ugly head during an environment when many homes are going up for foreclosure. Those SCAMmed were facing foreclosure. The newsperson recommended that home owners check their property deeds every-so-often to make sure all is in good order.

Homeowners Scammed

Scary times. . . .
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Go Back to forum