• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Aries

Share/Bookmark

Aries

My sign is Aries. But I believe in astrology as much as I believe in the Easter Bunny and Frosty the Snowman. Yet each day I make a point of reading my little section in the paper devoted to those of us that fall under the sign of Aries. With all that said, this has nothing to do with any of that. I wanted a name for a new piece, so I used Aries as a placeholder until I came up with a name for this piece. That has yet to happen.

This is all GPO or JABB and I have no story to go with it. Just an odd theme that I tried to vary a few times and a contrasting section for good measure.

Since Danny said to up the brass some, here is that version (a bit more reverb also)

http://www.box.net/shared/ej4m992g4c

The original

http://www.box.net/shared/vfppji4o4g

Ron

Re: Aries

Hey Ron,

I like it, so I guess I'm someone!!

Your harmonic language and sophistication is growing by leaps and bounds. One section towards the middle that resolves into a flute section and tubular bells thing just blew me away-- it was beautiful! I listened to just that part several times!

You have some pretty cool high brass stuff going on too... it just sounds like you might be a little afraid to bring them up in the mix. Let 'em scream a little! It might make for even greater dynamic contrast than you already have, especially if you punch up the JABB trumpet some. That's the only very minor quibble I have, though (other than what I thought might be some distortion at the end... which could also very well come from what I just found out from my doctor is a double ear infection , ...or maybe it's my not-old-but-over-used earphones).

There's always been something about your writing that draws me in, but it's hard to put a finger on it, hard to explain beyond the obvious creativity and musicality your works always contain in abundance. You're definitely one of my favorite composers here in this forum, and this is another example of why.

Danny

I hope you come up with name for this piece.

It's weird, interesting, fun, enchanting, intellectual and many other things.

Great work!

Danny

I just spent the last couple of hours making the brass a bit more prominent in this. I value your judgement and I think you hit it on the head. I also tried to fix the ending. I wanted it to just get louder and louder, but that can cause distortion, I know. Hopefully this fixed it.

http://www.box.net/shared/ej4m992g4c

Phil

I knew when I was composing this one that it was a bit odd. I still don't quite understand it, therefore still no name. It may just end up as Aries.
    I can also hear a siren out there for me as well. I just hope I don't get stuck with yet another mean one! I have had a lifetime's worth of that kind already.

Thanks guys. Your comments are what helps inspire me and keep me going.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post
    But I believe in astrology as much as I believe in the Easter Bunny and Frosty the Snowman. Ron
    What, what this... they're not real?

Well I'll be a goat's uncle...

Well your piece is certainly real. Nice writing. I thought the brass were fine in the first rendition, but this does sound better. I like how you captured an 'ancient' feel to the music along with the contemporary. Creates a nice illusion of space and time with the playfulness of a goat.

Thanks for sharing.
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer View Post
    What, what this... they're not real?

Well I'll be a goat's uncle...

Well your piece is certainly real. Nice writing. I thought the brass were fine in the first rendition, but this does sound better. I like how you captured an 'ancient' feel to the music along with the contemporary. Creates a nice illusion of space and time with the playfulness of a goat.

Thanks for sharing.
    WRayer

Of course they are real. I meant I belive them as much as real can be. I am not trying to say different.

Everyone knows that Jesus rose the 3rd day and turned into a rabbit who hides eggs.

Thanks for the kind words.

Ron

Ron:
    After years of teaching traditional common practice theory, I developed a real aversion to parallelism, especially parallel 5ths. After listening to all three of your listings, I'm accepting the fact, that in and under the correct circumstances, my prejudice is unacceptable. If the shoe fits----, if it aint broke---, etc. ad infinitum so my aversion is waning.
    Good piece, well scored, has a beginning, goes somewhere and ends. Well done.

Steve

Yeah, Ron, I like that mix better! It can be a dilemma, in a way, to have SO much control over volume (and other things); if you WANT the high trumpet notes to be soft, you can easily just mix 'em lower... but in a performance setting they'd probably be a lot more prominent. It just adds more realism and shows some idiomatic savvy to have brass a BIT hotter than in your first mix, especially in that upper range.

More importantly, though, the MUSIC just really stands out! The engineering stuff is fun, but it also drives ya nuts! (We all need our own private DPDAN on call!).

Ron,

I am very impressed! A nice piece and well done!

Best,

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Quote Originally Posted by sosmus View Post
    Ron:
    After years of teaching traditional common practice theory, I developed a real aversion to parallelism, especially parallel 5ths. After listening to all three of your listings, I'm accepting the fact, that in and under the correct circumstances, my prejudice is unacceptable. If the shoe fits----, if it aint broke---, etc. ad infinitum so my aversion is waning.
    Good piece, well scored, has a beginning, goes somewhere and ends. Well done.

Steve

Steve

I don't usually use parallel 5th's, but I do love parallel 4th's and augmented 4ths as well. I'd have to go look at the score, (it's on the computer downstairs) to see if I used any Para 5th's, but I don't think I did. Although, I know that this does has some of the dreaded (to me) parallel 3rd's in it.

Your last comment puts me in the same class as the greatest composers of all time. All of their works also has a beginning, goes somewhere and ends. I feel honored! ( Iknow what you mean I think).

Quote Originally Posted by DDW View Post
    Yeah, Ron, I like that mix better! It can be a dilemma, in a way, to have SO much control over volume (and other things); if you WANT the high trumpet notes to be soft, you can easily just mix 'em lower... but in a performance setting they'd probably be a lot more prominent. It just adds more realism and shows some idiomatic savvy to have brass a BIT hotter than in your first mix, especially in that upper range.

More importantly, though, the MUSIC just really stands out! The engineering stuff is fun, but it also drives ya nuts! (We all need our own private DPDAN on call!).
    Danny

I am still doing most of my work in Sibelius. I finally figured out a couple of pieces ago, that even though I have the brass volume up as high as Sib allows, it is not high enough. So what I have been trying to do and forgot for the first run thru on this one, is to make a wav file of just the brass and mix it all in Sonar.

This is the first time I used an envelope as well, and that makes up for lots of Sib's downfalls. The more I use Sonar, the more fun I seem to bve having as well. But I still like the creative process that takes place in Sibelius.

Gunther

I thank you sir!

Thanks guys!!

I wasn't sure about this one. To me, it still seems like an odd piece, but I am really beginning to like it.

Ron

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast