• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Fantasy For Strings Brass and Percussion

Share/Bookmark

Fantasy For Strings Brass and Percussion

Here is a link to a piece I've been working on as an intro to my use of Altiverb.

http://www.pianodocdm.com/fantasyforstbp.mp3

It's about 7 minutes.

I wrote this in Finale 2008 and then edited it in Sonar 6 and Altiverb.

It makes use of GPO, Gofriller, Strad and a full string section from GOS.

Thanks to Dan Kury for helping me, as he has so many, with the use of altiverb and his many postings on mixing techniques and the importance of listening critically.

I hope you enjoy it.

As always, comments and constructive criticism are quite welcome.

Thanks for listening.

David Mauney

Re: Fantasy For Strings Brass and Percussion

David,

Good morning.

I really like what you've done here. The rendering is great, very dramatic in some places, small and fragile in others. Good job.

I especially like the way you've developed your motive over the course of the tune. I was just discussing motivic development with my Music Theory students this morning. I think, if you don't mind, I may play this for them as a example.

One other thing, I really dug the sudden dissonances. Your going along fine, then all of a sudden, here's a diminshed interval!!!! Awesome. It's things like that that keep your attention. Nice.

The beginning?... At seven minutes!! I can't wait to hear the final project then. Keep up the good work.

Jonny

EDIT: Nevermind, I mis-read your post. This isn't an intro to the piece, it's an intro to the reverb. I'm sorry, I'm a little slow sometimes.
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

It never ceases to amaze me the measure of talent on this forum. Just continues to grow in tremendous leaps! Don't have time (as usual) to critique yet I will concur with Johnny if you don't mind. I'll just sum it up in one word ... Beautiful!
    Styxx

David

You have made fine use of the various libraries you mentioned. Nice highs and dramatic lows make for a very fine listen.

Well done

Ron

Please excuse me for being so late in replying. I've been in the hospital since the day I posted this - just got home today. Thanks for listening and thanks for your comments.

The learning process on the forum is so valuable and makes a big difference both in terms of progressing but also in having the sense that your music is being heard.

Jonny, Rolifer and Styxx - your comments have made my day today.

Thanks again for listening.

David Mauney

P.S. Jonny: I'd be flattered to have you use this for your students if you think that it would be helpful to them.

DM

Hey David,

Wow, there is so much going on in this piece yet very balanced and cohesive. You have creatively used each section very well and incorporated and repeated your themes successfully! Is there a score to this? Great job!

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Michael:

Thanks so much for your comments - and for listening. Yes there is a score but I haven't cleaned it up yet. I would be glad to send you a PDF copy when it's done if you would like.

David M.

Sure, sounds great! I have scores on Lulu.com. You should check them out if you are considering publishing your works.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by pianodoc View Post
    Michael:

Thanks so much for your comments - and for listening. Yes there is a score but I haven't cleaned it up yet. I would be glad to send you a PDF copy when it's done if you would like.

David M.
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

David, I'm so sorry to hear of your hospital
    sojourn -- I hope you're doing well, thereafter.

As for the music... this just delighted me. Broad,
    able writing with a unique voice, writ with clarity
    and an innovative hand. I couldn't put my foot
    down anywhere in this piece without a smile at
    the ingenuity and craftsmanship of the writing.

A pleasure!

Always my best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

David:
    I very thoughtful and compelling beginning piece that has excellent ideas and perhaps should be developed more. Very good rendering. Nice use of Brass, I can't seem to get my gpo brass samples to sound this good. I'm impressed. Best wishes.
    John

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast