• Register
  • Help

Topic: Skokiono

Share/Bookmark

Skokiono

Of all my compositions, this one has probably undergone the greatest revision in the shortest time with the least change of character. I was working on another piece (making a neat score) when this idea occurred to me, and demanded attention, so here it is. There is a meaning to the name, but to explain would be complicated. Less dissonance than usual for me, but far from tonal.

Skokiono

The mp3 uses GPO Steinway, Sonar, and Fatar keyboard. Play time, 5 minutes, 20 seconds.

Richard

Re: Skokiono

Richard

Towards the end in this, you do get a bit more atonal than the beginning, but overall a very tonal piece.

There is no real tonal center to the piece but not out there enough to be called atonal either.

I reallly like the runs near the end.

Well done

Ron

Richard,

The rhythmic drive in this is mesmerizing, through to the very end. Particularly at the beginning, there seemed to be a cohesive Oriental undertone that continued to peek in and out throughout the piece, which I enjoyed very much. As a matter of fact, I enjoyed the entire thing... thanks for posting!

Danny

Very interesting composition as usual - I found some parts awkward (about a minute in-but maybe that was your intention) but I really liked most of it.

I am going out on a limb here... I generally think your music is well suited to the piano and can hold its own. However, have you ever considered adding other (one or more) orchestral instruments to your work. Might be very interesting!
    Thanks for sharing - Del
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

http://www.mdtcommunications.com

Well, Ron, it is really a slipping around sort of tonality, as you say, no definite tonal center, a very common practice with me. Definitely more tonal than most of my music.

Danny, although I had not considered it as such, there is a hint of oriental sound, which I seem to do fairly often, but not consciously aware as I write that it is oriental, just that it is what I want. I am glad you liked the rhythm, as that obviously was one of my great concerns with this piece.

Del: I certainly can not argue about my music being suited for the piano. In that respect, and only that respect, I resemble Chopin. I have some orchestral compositions, and one string quartet that I think is quite good, but the score needs some editing. Orchestration is a thing I would like to do more of, but, I would need more study of strings. Piano, organ, and brass are my strong points, and it shows in my work, I think.

I have studied this score thoroughly since posting it, and have created a new piece, which could be considered a re-incarnation of it. I have lengthened the beginning and end, shrunk the middle, greatly revised tempo and dynamics. It will posted in a few days. Working title is "High Tension", but that may be revised. It sounds extremely difficult, but studying the score will show that it is not so difficult as it sounds.

Richard

Hypnotic and entrancing in places with its Asian and quartal
    underpinnings; and unsettling in others while the mind is
    taken in two different directions at once... and that sense
    of flowing water so common in your work, Richard -- pure
    Wayland, and much enjoyed.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux View Post
    Hypnotic and entrancing in places with its Asian and quartal
    underpinnings; and unsettling in others while the mind is
    taken in two different directions at once... and that sense
    of flowing water so common in your work, Richard -- pure
    Wayland, and much enjoyed.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Well, thank you, David. I do like the quartal foundation, and I also like the flowing water/rain/dripping faucet sound. One of the things I liked about Saigon was the rain. When I was a child, I loved to stand outside in the rain. Now, when there is a good rain, I stand out on my front porch to watch and listen, and when the rain ends, the sound of the creek is really strong. I also like the Asian hints, although I am not sure of how I achieve it. My guide is my ear, not theory. It probably is due to the quartal harmony.

I am pleased with this piece, but even more pleased with it's sequel, which will be posted soon. Similar, but rather more wild. The title is Fire Storm, and it is descriptive of my intent.

Richard

Go Back to forum