• Register
  • Help

Topic: Strings and Brass for Rock/Punk/Pop

Strings and Brass for Rock/Punk/Pop

Hello all,

I am fairly new to the world of orchestra samples and am looking for some advice. I work primarily in the rock/punk/pop genre and am currently seeking a library of strings and brass for adding some fairly simple, yet mood-setting orchestration to my recordings. I have researched all the options for what seems like ages, but have yet to really reach a conclusion. I need libraries that are recorded pretty dry, contain smaller sections, and (preferably) have some solid scripting/programming since I am not an expert on orchestration. I have looked into VSL Special Edition, VSL Chamber Strings, Kirk Hunter, EWQL (recorded too wet), GPO, etc... Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Re: Strings and Brass for Rock/Punk/Pop

I used VSL Chamber Strings for my CD (Pop/Rock and Pop/R&B). They are dry, have lots of articulations and it's very easy to program. Do a search for tripling the Chamber strings to get a more lush sound out of them. I'm sure you'll find them very versatile.

Thanks for the response. Were you using the standard, extended, or full version of the Chamber Strings? And, if you were using the standard, were there any limitations that were problematic. Finally, one last question, do the Chamber Strings utilize the same sampler program used by Vienna Special Edition?

Thanks again,

Sorry for the bump, but I would really appreciate other people's opinions.

Thanks in advance,

i like the VSL Appassionata Strings for those Mantovani moments..........

For brass the Chris Hein library is my fav.

For brass, I'd recommend the WIVI (Wallander) trumpets and trombones. The Garritan JABB saxes work well for lines and the Chris Hein saxes sound good for punches and short licks.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I've been looking into the WIVI brass stuff and it seems like it might work pretty well for my purposes. I may get that set and the new "The Trumpet" that everyone here has been so excited about. Seems that those two sets together will fulfill my needs.

But, I still need strings. I am leaning towards Vienna's Chamber Strings --- but the standard package doesn't seem to contain the articulations (such as harsh) that I would likely want for rock/punk/pop. And, the full package is pretty darn expensive.

Broadway Big Band is, by far, the best choice for brass and reeds. W a bonus of a stellar bass and drums and percussion etc.

Go Back to forum