• Register
  • Help

Topic: Acoustic Bass Finger Noise

Share/Bookmark

Acoustic Bass Finger Noise

I have been trying out the various CC messages with the J&BB acoustic basses using Cubase SX3. I found that all work except the finger noise one which has no effect. I tried increasing the velocity but still no change. Any clues?

Ken

Re: Acoustic Bass Finger Noise

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Clark View Post
    I have been trying out the various CC messages with the J&BB acoustic basses using Cubase SX3. I found that all work except the finger noise one which has no effect. I tried increasing the velocity but still no change. Any clues?

Ken
    Ken,

The JABB Upright Bass 2 has three samples that include pops & clicks, that play round robin along with the regular plucked sample. Velocity & CC13 controls the volume of the Pop & Click samples. Playing the Bass Solo these samples should be audible, even without CC13 however faint. however the noise of these samples are the exstraneous sounds from the fingers that are plucking the string and string noise against the sound board. Is it possible you are expecting the finger noise to be the sliding noise from the left hand (assumming a right handed player) moving from position to position. if so this is a seperate set of samples mapped above the range of the bass.

Mike

Thanks for the reply. Her is what I did ...

I recorded a bass line in cubase then assigned this to one of the two J&BB upright basses. I then added a controller lane assigned to CC13 and expected to hear the sound of the string hitting the fingerboard corresponding the the start of the note, depending on the height of the controller lane. Is this correct?

Regards Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Clark View Post
    Mike

Thanks for the reply. Her is what I did ...

I recorded a bass line in cubase then assigned this to one of the two J&BB upright basses. I then added a controller lane assigned to CC13 and expected to hear the sound of the string hitting the fingerboard corresponding the the start of the note, depending on the height of the controller lane. Is this correct?

Regards Ken
    Ken,

What you're refering to is the snap sample which is not controlled by CC13 and will only get triggered with velocities greater then what looks like 120. You are correct for the pops & clicks.

Thanks again Mike.

I'm starting to get the picture now. Obviously in the real world a 'snap' would only occur when the player plucks the string pretty hard which I guess is why the high velocity is required to trigger it. (Not that I'm intending to overdo it but the occasional snap can certainly add realism in the right place)

One again, many thanks for your feedback Mike

Regards Ken

Go Back to forum