• Register
  • Help

Topic: Cubase4/Stylus RMX memory issue...anyone w/RMX and another seq, have a look? Eric???

Share/Bookmark

Cubase4/Stylus RMX memory issue...anyone w/RMX and another seq, have a look? Eric???

Greetings.

Posted this @ Cubase.net as well.

Boot computer
    Launch Cubase
    Create new empty project
    F11/load instance of RMX
    PF usage @ 430 MB
    Choose RMX Grooves
    PF usage @ 433 MB
    Choose (could be any suite) 'World Hunt'
    PF usage @ 448 MB
    Ok, so far so good. The mem increases make sense to me here
    Choose first element, 'Combo Big', it plays; let it play a bar or two
    Now choose the next element, 'Combo Dry', it plays; let it play a bar or two
    PF usage @ 456 MB
    Now choose the next element, 'Big Boom'
    PF usage @ 460 MB

See what's happening here?

By the time I work my way down to 'Taps 2b', my PF usage is @ 524 MB.
    Apparently, each element gets loaded into memory, but does not get released when the next one is chosen. All of the elements get released when choosing another suite; when I do, my PF usage is @ 430 MB again - right where I started when I loaded the RMX instance to begin with. Now, if I am dealing with the above scenario, there is no problem. But - if my project is already nearing the max amount of RAM I have, and there are a ton of elements I want to audition (like the Distorted Reality Suites, for example), then I have a problem - because the memory keeps climbing and climbing with each loaded element.

So my question is - is this a Cubase thing, or a Stylus thing? I guess one way to tell is ask anyone that uses RMX with another sequencer - preferably on PC. Anyone have something else and RMX? This happen to you too? what about on a MAC?

If it is a Stylus thing, is this the way it's supposed to work? And can something be done here to alleviate this by releasing each element from memory as another is chosen, or release one after several are chosen?

Please bear in mind this is not a complaint, nor a dig at anyone. Just want to see if it has something to do w/me, or what...

Thanks much for any insight.

Cheers.

Re: Cubase4/Stylus RMX memory issue...anyone w/RMX and another seq, have a look? Eric

Yes, it's intentional. That's because the elements within a suite are often used together. By keeping them loaded, you can quickly switch back to a previously selected element within the same suite. As soon as you switch to another suite, that memory is reclaimed. If you are tight on memory, you can switch away from the current suite, reselect it, then choose the element within that suite you want to use.

- Glenn

Go Back to forum