• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Drifting Suite

Drifting Suite

Still working on the last movement of the Faure Requiem but in the meantime I thought I'd share a small collection of pieces I wrote earlier this year as incidental music for a particularly wonderful play a friend of mine wrote (which was subsequently produced at our school).

I. Drifting (GPO strings + harp)
    II. Nocturne "Dear Nicky" (me and my model B Steinway), Score
    III. Emily (GPO strings + harp)

Ellendale, ND

Re: Drifting Suite

The instrumental balance in these selections is excellent. No surprising brash brass, no harp plunking over the strings - everything at its correct level and everything working together. Wonderful sound - an example to be listened to by all arrangers using electronic sampling.

And on top of all that, the music elements are outstanding.

Bravo for all three!
    It's all there... composition... dynamics... performance...!!!
    Thanks for posting them!

Thank you for the fantastic comments, Tom and Yudit! I added a score for the piano piece if anyone's interested in looking.

I agree with everyone else. These all have a very simple feel to them, yet they are very full of depth and emotion. The piano solo almost sounds like something by Chopin
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Can you tell that I absolutely love his music? Chopin was actually my first true music obsession, once upon a time I stumbled upon his 'Heroic' polonaise and it's been downhill (uphill?) ever since.

I just printed your score and played it!
    A true delight to play such a fine crafted piece...!
    Many thanks

Yudit- no way!! I'm so glad you took the time, thanks a million for that, I hope it was worthwhile.

Also, misc. note but I'm not sure where else to put it, I'm thrilled at the moment because I've just learned of my acceptance to Juilliard to begin undergraduate studies in composition in the Fall of 2008!!!

What beautiful music! I especially was taken by Emily. Gorgeous music! Thank you so much for sharing. If you have time, I posted a piece called Coming of the Dawn. I would appreciate your thoughts about it. Take care.

Serenity Musician (Gary A.)

Lenovo, Windows 10 64 bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio, Finale 25, Sonar

Wilton, NH

Very nice, quiet pieces. I enjoyed listening and following along with the nocturne (Dear Nicky). Congrats on being excepted to Juilliard.
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast