• Register
  • Help

Topic: Coming of the Dawn

Share/Bookmark

Coming of the Dawn

Here's my first file sharing. The piece is called Coming of the Dawn. It features strings, flute, oboe, bassoon, french horn and percussion. http://www.mediafire.com/?tyjwbv9m0ol

I didn't have time to record this through Cubasis, so it's recorded off of Finale. When I have time I will doing a more professional job of recording. I would really appreciate any thoughts. The piece has a long history which I will share at a later date. I'm in the process of rewriting this as a choral work for a group I sing/direct in and my girlfriend is coming up with the lyrics. Thanks everyone, especially to Gary Garritan who helped make this possible.

Gary
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Re: Coming of the Dawn

Gary

Just to let you know, a lot of people here don't like to have to jump thru hoops to listen to a piece. Streaming is usually better around here. Boxnet, allows streaming, and a lot of people here use it. I see you are commenting on a lot of others works as well. Keep that up and people will return the favor.

I have been told in the past, that a lot of people lose interst in a piece somewhere between 3-5 minutes, so a 9 1/2 minute piece is hard to get comments on as well. But just today, I had a friend tell me to compose a longer piece, around 9-12 minutes long, so who knows?

The music is fairly tame thru most of this, which will find an audience. Personally, I like more in your face music, but that's just me.

Ron

Gary:
    A haunting and beautiful piece. I find it interesting that so much movement orchestrally can still give such an impression of quiet stability. I especially liked the slight tonal shift at the very end. It's repetitive nature should make a very forceful choral piece, as in Stravinsky's Symphony of Psalms.

sos (Steve)

I confess that I would love to hear a better render of this, but the Finale is not nearly half-bad and does the piece considerable justice.

Stylistically I am reminded of Gorecki's religious mysticism with perhaps a few more jazzy elements, a trance-like flow of complicated but seamlessly contrapuntal and layered music that can truly capture a mood; fancy words for what I can state simply as a beautiful sound that completely engaged me.

In my opinion, what seems most disruptive is the addition of instruments beyond the strings. While the notion of a fuller orchestra is always tempting it spoils for me the sound this piece seems to desire. In particular the percussion (and especially the repeating timpani notes) adds a certain drama but of a cheesier sort. I have faith in your compositional craft to bring out that drama in a fuller and denser string sound; rhythmically, the repetitions can be replaced by the movement of inner voices.

Overall, fantastic work that I think can be distilled into an even purer realization of potential!

Thank you all for all of your wonderful and constructive comments.

Ron, I will see about switching over to boxnet or something else so it's easier for everyone to listen to. And generally I try not to write something quite so long (the original was over 15 minutes long....wew!).

Steve, I love haunting melodies and appreciated your thoughts in that regard. It's going to be interesting to see how this sounds when adapted for vocal choir somewhere down the road (to be performed in the fall).

Simon, thank you so much for your thoughts. I hope to do a better recording of this at a later date. You're right, just off of Finale is not the best way to go. I am so glad to hear your were "engaged." I will look into making some of the changes your suggested.

Gary

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Sorry I missed this when first posted, Gary: Welcome
    aboard!

And I'm pleased I found my way back to this beautifully
    poignant sunrise reflection. Like Steve, I was struck by
    the flowing sense of calm of it, created over the swaying
    harmonic undercarriage... followed by the inclusion of
    a more driving dénouement through the last third of
    the piece.

One technical note: this file appears to be at 128 k/bs.
    Might I suggest recording at a higher rate (160 k/bs or,
    preferrably, 192 k/bs) -- as that low rate does sound
    no favors.

Well done!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux View Post
    Sorry I missed this when first posted, Gary: Welcome
    aboard!

And I'm pleased I found my way back to this beautifully
    poignant sunrise reflection. Like Steve, I was struck by
    the flowing sense of calm of it, created over the swaying
    harmonic undercarriage... followed by the inclusion of
    a more driving dénouement through the last third of
    the piece.

One technical note: this file appears to be at 128 k/bs.
    Might I suggest recording at a higher rate (160 k/bs or,
    preferrably, 192 k/bs) -- as that low rate does sound
    no favors.

Well done!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Hi David!

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments. Hearing your words mean a lot. I'm so pleased you enjoyed it. This actually started out years ago as a meditative piece using the warm pad sound of the Roland Sound Canvas. It has evolved over time. I switched to strings, shortened it by about 7-8 minutes and now finally had the chance to recreate it through GPO with several more changes. When I do the choral version for the fall I'm sure I'll hear some things differently again, but not too much.

I recorded this off of Finale which isn't always the best, I know. I plan to massage it using Cubasis for a much nicer presentation. I just wish I had more time to write...alas bills and working for a living take up way too much time. Again, a sincere thanks for your words. Take care.

Gary

Go Back to forum